Nice find in a box

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Jan 7, 2016.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I was hunting through a box of various cards from a huge lot of stuff I bought back in November this morning. There a lot of good stuff in it(including some CPU upgrade cards) but I hadn't really dug into it beyond the boxed stuff.

I came across an antistatic bag of video cards that were labeled "from B&W G3."

There were four cards in the bag-all of them Rage 128s. I like keeping these cards around for PCI OWR Macs since they eliminate having to use a DB-15 monitor or mess with an adapter(plus they're a LOT better than the onboard video on these computers).

In any case, one of the cards was the relatively rare BTO TV Tuner card. This may not be a huge deal I realize, but it was none the less a nice find that I didn't know I have.

IMG_2219.jpg

I'm also going to throw in a gratuitous picture of my video card shelf. A lot of these are the common cards, but I'll point out the nice tidy little stack of Radeon 9200s(Mac Edition) along with the X800 Mac edition on the top shelf :) . A lot of the better cards are waiting to find their way into a computer, although the common ones are there as spares.

I also managed to secure one of the ultra-rare Mac Edition 9700s that were BTO on MDDs yesterday(thanks to a tip-off from @LightBulbFun ), and I'm really excited about its imminent arrival.

IMG_2220.JPG

2. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Can't wait to see the 9700 in action! Wouldn't you rather want to use it in one of your G4 machines rather than put it on a shelf?

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Most of the "good" cards on the shelf are just ones that are waiting for me to decide on a home. The X800 in particular is probably going in a G5 tonight. I'm waiting to get a chance to flash the X850XT Sapphire, which should be quite a formidable card. I can't wait to run the 17" ADC CRT off the X800 :) .

The lower end cards are primarily there because they've been removed from upgraded systems, but I keep them for testing and the like.

When the 9700 arrives, it will replace the 9600 in my main Quicksilver assuming I can get it to work(I've been told these are touchy in QSs). If it doesn't work, I'll put it in an MDD, where it belongs :). There's a lot of temptation to put it in the dual 1.42 since that would truly be the high end BTO system. At the same time, I'd kind of like to put a FireGl or the flashed X850 in the dual 1.42. If that's the case, the 9700 will probably end up in my dual 1.25 MDD.