Nice headphones? Worth getting?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 88888888, Feb 8, 2009.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

Is it worth getting a nice pair of Shure headphones, if I don't have high quality music? :confused:

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Depends on the quality of your music for sure. Crap in Crap out as they say.

3. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. skrutzen macrumors regular

I'd go Apple lossless. Also, which Shures are you thinking of getting? I have the SE530s and i absolutely love them! Phenomenal sound!

5. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shure E4C's they're only 59 bucks right now.
    What's apple lossless? ...

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd say 192 kbps AAC or 256 kbps MP3 (AAC seems to give more sound 'per kbps' if you see what I mean).

I use 256 kbps AAC and usually struggle to tell the difference between a lossless version. On top of this, you'd be very hard pushed to tell the difference when listening from an iPod or built in Mac output.

7. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

apple loseless is this. its probably the best sound quality you will be able to achieve using iTunes, but they file sizes are mighty big - well compared to mp3 for example. although if you have lots of space start using it.

8. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Where?

9. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I have the Bose On Ear (http://www.amazon.com/Bose-41215-On...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234095747&sr=8-1) headphones, and I love them to death! I went through quite a few headphones (from Sony to Shure to I dunno what) and these are the most comfortable and they are pretty damn small. The quality is good enough for me. The only thing that might throw you off is the price. It almost made me crazy as well, and after I broke them I thought I was going to kill myself. But I went into a Bose shop, and got them replaced on spot without my receipt and without any questions! That is the kind of customer service that will make my next headphones I buy Bose as well. :cool:
    But really, to find ones that will fit you best, go to a shop and try a couple on. The first ones I got were some AKG (or something like that) and the next day I brought them back. I didn't try them in the store, but opened them in the car and after 5 minutes my head hurt like hell and I got a bad headache. I knew right away that that wasn't going to work for me. But those Bose ones, I have them around my neck the whole school day and I don't even know they are there!
    If your budget is lower, I would look at these Sony ones: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-NC40...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234096234&sr=1-2. I was thinking about buying those after my Bose ones broke, because since I didn't have my receipt anymore, I was very doubtful they would repair them, and my wallet was a bit small at that time. I tried them at the store a couple times, and I have to say that for that price they were pretty damn good as well.
    But don't really listen much to me, as I'm no music expert :p

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't mind Bose's Around-Ears, but the On-Ears provide a torrent of bass which is frankly bordering on the offensive level. I know it's a matter of taste, but even knowing that I had to go 'jeez'. It's a shame because in terms of build quality and comfort they'd be perfect.

E4c - do sound a bit thin to be honest (the polar opposite to the On-Ears, you could say) but they're very isolated, which is the main point of opting for Shure, Westone, Etymotic, etc. If you need a lot of isolation, don't miss your bass and are not doing active gym-like stuff, then I'd say at $59 the E4c's would be a steal.

12. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I like the Bose in ear. And while I'm definitely not saying they're the best out there, they do have a decent sound. I've also used Bose on ear headphones as well (can't remember the exact model). They both have a nice sound. It depends what you're looking for, and how much you're willing to shell out. There are many many great options out there. The only reason I stick to Bose is because I've never had a huge problem with their products for the years and years that I've been using them. And they one time I had a slight problem with their product, their customer service was amazing. ;)

13. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

You can still get Shure e2c's for about 70 USD, a better deal in my opinion than the Bose, having owned both.

Also look into Jays q-Jays and d-Jays, and Etymotic's newer budget IEMs.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Any Shure earphones are better than the ones made by Bose. You can get SE210 online for less than the Bose in-ear (which really aren't in-ear earphones).

And they are always worth every cent, not to mention terrific warranty.

The kicker here of course is the higher you go, the better quality music you need to have, or music will start sounding worse, since better headphones will make compression deficiencies more prominent.

15. cjenkins505 macrumors member

It depends how much you listen to music and where you listen to it. I'm in high school and in the summer and spring work at a golf course where one of my jobs is to drive around picking up golf balls. I always listen to my Ipod but the Picker is so loud it interferes pretty bad. Towards the end of last year I bought Shure Se530 new off ebay and I am very impressed. They completely cancel out every outside noise and come with a ton of different ear hole sizes to fit yours perfectly. If you can afford it do it. I am very satisfied.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Bose-In-Ear headphones are IMO the single worst product that Bose makes. The sound is awful, the isolation is terrible, the comfort is painful and the build quality is terrible.

For $100 you can find some much more preferable options, including the Shure E3's.

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

To OP:

head-fi.org.

Just go there, and do some research, ask some questions. And sorry about your wallet. ;)

And no need to go Bose.. the shures are great. But there is much more out there that can give you really great sound for a great price. It depends on what you want, what type of sound you like, isolation, cost, etc.

18. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

x2! I have had the Bose In-Ear for almost two years now and I think they are pretty much crap. I upgraded to these and I just fell in love with listening to music again, and now I never want to take them off :D

19. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

could not agree with you more about the bose. Don't pay that kind of money for that kind of sound. Try i nice lower end set of shure or the etymotic er-6i will do do you wonders compared to apples stock headphones and anything from bose.
    P.S i use the Er-4p with all my music in Apple lossles and the sound is out of this world.

20. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Another vote for Shure's headphones. I love my e2c's. A coworker recently bought the Shure's iPhone headset and is also happy with them.

21. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

That's all well and good. Everyone has their own opinion. I was just giving mine. Like I said, I never said Bose was the best or anything like that. Just that I've had positive experiences with them. And apparently there is only a handful of in ear headphones that fit me correctly and sound 1/2 decent. So when I find something I like, I tend to stick to it. That's all. :)

22. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

i agree 100% the Bose in ear are terrible in my opinion. I have a pair of the Etymotic Research er-6i's and I love them to death. I hesitated a little bit before I purchased them due to the price, but I have not regretted buying them for a minute!!! As a side note Etymotic Research has fantastic customer service, my headphones broke well past the end of the warranty and I called them and they told me to send them back and lo and behold about a week later ER sent me a brand new pair of headphones :)

23. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Bose is expensive but I love them. I have the Bose QuietComfort 2 and they are so comfortable and sound beautifully.

24. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Whoa, forgot where I was for a second. ^^