iPod Nice looking home made iPod dock.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Sure, there's no IR, but I used everything that came with the box to make it, and it looks great IMO. Better than that one on Engadget a few weeks ago.

...Anyways I carved out the dock connector area a bit on the adaptor that came with the iPod, cut out a few holes in the box, and viola. Here it is.

What do you guys think?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
awesome! i might just have to do that..... when i GET an ipod:p. man...... i need an ipod....:eek: looks ko0l though!

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
thanks guys, and yeah, its pretty much just carve out some of the dock adaptor, shove the dock connector through, secure it to the dock adaptor(i used duct tape to do that. I made the latch things on the usb permanantly pressed with duct tape, and then traced the bottom of the ipod on the box out with an exacto knife, i put the front of the adaptor in first so it was secure, and i threw a paperweight in the box(also duct taped it in there)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
would've made it so the apple faced forward, but thats just me.
good work in every other aspect though! :D

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Very cool idea.

I'd hate to try that with my square clamshell box though.

I wonder if I could do some thing similar with my leftover plaster blocks from 3D art class.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I might actually make my own with built in speakers and IR. It's not as difficult as you may think...