Nice new 65" sharp LCD ... problems!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by stevey500, Dec 30, 2008.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Okay, I'm at my dad's house struggling as im typing this message on his ergonomic microsoft keyboard.

I'm setting up his new 80gb PS3 with his new Sharp 65" LCD TV. . .its sweet.

I have an optical cable running from the TV to the Yamaha 7.1 audio receiver.

Two components are plugged into the TV through two separate HDMI 1.3 plugs. DirecTivo and the PS3

Setting up the tivo was EASY... plugged it in, works great, sound is routed out through the optical from the tv all automatically.

The PS3 works awesome, 1080 works great, SOUND has issues! I set the PS3 settings to output through HDMI, when I choose Automatic settings, it only enables PCM 2.0ch ... which DOES NOT route out of the optical cable from the tv. I tried enabling all output settings through hdmi on the PS3 and ... still nothing, I only get 2ch audio through the tV's speakers. I went through the TV's menu to find any options to enable above 2.0 PCM output, no available options. Why does the tv forward the Tivo's HDMI input out of the optical cable and NOT the PS3 ?? I've tried unplugging the HDMI cable from the Tivo into the PS3 to see if it was a cable issue or maybe a limitation of some of the HDMI ports on the tv, but did not solve the problem.

I'm stumped.

Either I go get another optical cable and run it from the PS3 to the 2nd optical input on the pioneer amp or maybe someone can solve my issue.

I would love to have the tv route the HDMI audio from the PS3 out of the optical port of the TV like it is doing with the Tivo so I don't have to add more steps to his logitech harmony remote (the switch of audio inputs in the amp).

Does the PS3 have a querky different audio format than what the Tivo is outputting?... I don't get it. I don't understand why it would be any different, even if i force the PS3 to only output 2ch PCM through HDMI, the tv WILL NOT forward the audio out of the optical jack from the PS3, only the tivo.

thanks!

2. duffer macrumors regular

Does the receiver have HDMI? I'm assuming it doesn't due to the fact you are using optical cables, but want to make sure. My receiver does not have HDMI and I tried this setup with my PS3 as well and received the same result as you. The DVR was fine, but not the PS3.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My god if there ever was a 'blatant' look at me thread it's this. ;)

Well on my 95" organic LED nuclear super wonder with 26:1 pure orgasmic sound with 36 hdmi ports - I don't have that problem... That's what you get when you buy cheaper alternatives ;)

4. primape08 macrumors newbie

I wish I had the kind of money to spend on something like that. Damn, I'm watching all my shows and playing my games on a 13" lol.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Does your receiver have HDMI? I would just use optical because you still get 5.1 through the thing.

Bless

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Hmmm..... Sounds like my issue. I've got my TV optical audio output connected to a Bose 3-2-1 and it all shows up as PCM 2.0. Of course when I play a DVD on the Bose it plays in glorious fake surround sound. Overall I still like the set up in the basement (real 5.1) but it would be great if I could get the TV to output 5.1....

Anyway... Just use an extra optical cable.