Nice new MBP 17". iTunes freezes.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesheep, Jun 18, 2009.

1. thesheep macrumors regular

thesheep

Just bought a nice new 17" MBP. Had to go with the 17" in the end, even though it's a bit large for me, in order to get the anti-glare option (no idea why they don't have that option for the 15"... )

Anyway, it's very nice. But 1 small issue:

I've put on my large music library (70GB) into iTunes. Not really any other apps yet. And fairly frequently iTunes just pauses for no reason, freezing up the whole machine. Lasts about 10-15 seconds, then the song carries on playing.

I'm not using coverflow, and don't have any iPods or external drives or anything else plugged in.

Anyone know of a fix - pretty strange as it's a brand new, clean installation of Leopard on a new machine.

Of course I could just return it as I'm inside the 14 days, but seems a bit extreme. Annoying though.

2. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

This could be on iTunes end, and not a problem with your MBP. Since iTunes is being used heavily at the moment, especially the last couple of days, the iTunes server could be having some frequent crashes. iTunes crashed on me this morning. I wouldn't worry too much, unless it's a repeating problem in the days ahead.

Of course you could always just start fresh and re-install iTunes just to be safe, of course that would mean re-installing all your music, either way it should work out.

3. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Just a guess, but do you think the genius is running in the background, scanning your music? I would imagine 70gb would take some time to sort out. Try turning off genius, or just letting it complete its initial run... Just a guess...

4. thesheep thread starter macrumors regular

thesheep

Don't think it was the Genius because that wasn't enabled. But I think you're right it was some kind of iTunes indexing going on. Doesn't seem to be an issue now!