Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
and why it is a good thing to bump the memory to two gig

http://www.macworld.com/article/139267/2009/03/mac_mini_2009.html

I do find it interesting the game performance jumped nearly 20% with more RAM but I am curious how much of that is do to the ram needed by the applications versus given the card. In other words, were the numbers for some apps because the system itself was starved for memory.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I do find it interesting the game performance jumped nearly 20% with more RAM but I am curious how much of that is do to the ram needed by the applications versus given the card. In other words, were the numbers for some apps because the system itself was starved for memory.

If it only had 1GB in it, then yes certainly. I've noticed this on the Apple machines I've bought since Leopard came out. The last-gen mini I bought recently (which is still sitting at 1GB) really chugs as soon as Time Machine starts up, if anything else at all is open, for example.

The performance of the new minis does seem impressive. The old ones are perfectly adequate for daily work. A 20% increase, as Macworld is reporting, is certainly a nice bump. The price is still a bit high, but at least the performance went up too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.