Nice small/simple cam to film my marathon run

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Azzin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Gurus,

As per title, I'm looking for a device to capture 'on the go' footage of my Londn Marathon run this year.

I looked at a GoPro, but they seem quite expensive, for what will probably be one off use.

Someone mentioned a Sony 'Bloggie' camera, but Googling that returns results that vary wildly in price.

These are the two I've found thus far:

Kodak PlayFull ZE1 Full HD 1080P, Image Stabilisation: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Kodak Playfull Waterproof Video Camera - Black 2.0: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

But I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

All I want is something that films in HD (preferably 1080p), has enough battery life to get me through the marathon and has a really simple 'one button press to start/stop filming'.

I should also add that I'm in the UK.

Cheers.

PS-I'm running for the NSPCC id anyone fancies sponsoring me. :)

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

The problem is, I'm not sure I will use the device again (I'm not 100% certain in fairness), so I don't want to invest what seems to be a minimum of £200/$350 on a one off.

Or am I missing something here and the Go Pros are not as expensive as I think they are?

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The GoPro will be more durable and I believe has better battery life.

So it looks like around 2 hours is the average.

5. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I've got some experience with the GoPro's and I really must say, it's worth its money. Set it up in the right quality before running your 42k's and you'll have a great souvenir afterwards. I'm sure the other camera's will deliver good quality footage as well, but with the GoPro you'll have the great wideangle, high quality video of your run.

My guess is you'll use it in the future again on trips, weekends off ... It's so easy to take with you and take pictures, shoot some clips and have great footage to look back at later on.

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Actually, there's a simple way to power a gopro from a light external battery, so battery life shouldn't be a concern.
    Now they are selling the hero3+, but you can get the (excellent) previous gen (Hero3) second hand on eBay, do your marathon, and sell it afterwards, so you'll be losing between 0 and 15 pounds (during the actual marathon you'll be losing much more than that ;)

7. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

That might just be the way to go (either that, or see if any of my friends have one that I can borrow).

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since you think you'll only use it once, I'd try and borrow one from my friends or colleagues. Good luck with the marathon!

9. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I don't know if you're usually an active person, but the GoPro has to be one of the best, versatile cameras out there. You can use it for practically anything. You can attach it to your car, your head, your wrist, take it skydiving, take it snorkeling / scuba diving, surfing, etc. You might just get a wild hair up your bum and try all these new and exciting things.

Seriously, get the GoPro.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

11. zyr123 macrumors 6502

Go pro not even a question. If you do not wanna get a hero 3+. Look for used hero 3-2.

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester