Nice Windows XP Pro Option (Dell)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gunga Din, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Well, while waiting for the new MBP's, I decided to spec a computer for my PC needs. I decided I didnt want to have any Windows on my first Mac purchase. My 5 yr old Dell just started having issues.

I got a coupon from fatwallet.com to get this price. It ends on Feb. 20th. Its a very nice deal. Its and Dell Vostro 400. Search the site for the coupon. If you need help finding it, just send me a private email

I was gonna get a Mac Pro, get a 2nd HD, install a new windows xp on it blah blah blah, but decided to get this to tide me over till the MBP is updated. I didnt want to mix the PC with Mac so i'm going for best of both worlds. This PC and the new MBP. It took me along time to find a good PC config with Windows XP Pro.....no Vista for me.

Maybe this will be useful to someone here, so I decided to post my findings. Makes a great gaming rig.

Ok here is what I got.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Proc E6850 (3.00GHz,4MB L2Cache,1333FSB)
    Genuine Windows® XP Pro
    No Pre-installed Productivity Software
    No Monitor
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs
    Single Drive: 48x CD Burner / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
    320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT
    No Floppy Drive
    No Modem Option
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    My Accessories
    No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
    Dell USB Keyboard
    Dell Scroll Mouse
    My Software
    No Pre-installed Anti-Virus/Security Software
    Adobe Acrobat Reader
    My Services & Warranties
    1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service
    10GB for 1 Year Online Data Backup by Dell DataSafe
    1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup
    Dell Network Assistant
    Purchase is not intended for resale.
    Also Included
    Windows® XP
    No ISP requested
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Price was $842.00 after tax and the coupon.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

what are we supposed to say? good pc purchase? if so than yes congrats on the pc!

3. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah, just thought i'd share this offer thats up in 2 days. This PC and a new MBP is going to be my new setup. I'm sure there are some people here in the same boat as me. Aging PC but still need one and want to get their first Mac. Thats all.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

sorry i didn't mean to sound like an ass! that is a deal if your in the market for wanting a windows machine for windows and a mac machine for osx

5. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

No problem man, I hope I didnt look like someone trying to put down Macs. You know what I put more worth in if I"m paying $800 for my PC and 3x that for my Mac. I just needed something for my PC needs / gaming.

Mixing it with the Mac was aggravating me, I didnt want any gaming on my Mac. I want to concetrate more on Music,video and more creative stuff, which I found frustrating to do on my Dell.

At least I have something to do while the MBP is updated :). I'll be transferring over files from my old Dell and installing some games on this one while i wait.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Good stuff.

With the RAM and the CD drives, just go with the absolute cheapest option, and pick up a DVD-RW and more RAM from Newegg.

DVD-RWs are around 30-35 dollars, and RAM is 48 dollars or so per 2GB 800MHz (2X1GB)

Other than that, it looks like a very nice computer that'll be great for anything you throw at it. Congrats. :D

7. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx. Yea, I could have gotten more ram and a DVD-RW etc. , but I wanted to get just the bare essentials for my PC needs and put the rest of my $$$ into the MBP. Like I stated above, it frees my mind of fhaving to put Windows on my Mac.