Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
SE London
since i bought a mac a few months ago i have amassed quite a collection of iTunes tracks in my collection. i have been thinking of getting into DJ'ing on an internet radio station and i was wondering if it would allow me to stream iTunes m4a's through to the station's mostly PC-based clientele. is that possible?

steveedge

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Streaming

Streaming is done from the server, which means the host/ website would have to handle the streaming. it would have nothing to do with your computer.
unless YOU ran a streaming server yourself which involves a pretty steep learning curve, and an allowance of bandwidth that your ISP probably does not provide.
Nicecast looks like it handles some of that for you.

"Once you've got your stream set up, tuning in is easy. Listeners can receive the stream with any MP3 player, on any platform, which supports streaming."

If you want to learn more about streaming, do a Google search for "streaming audio web"

Another problem you would have is that copyright protected songs can't legally be copied or converted...:)
Regards,

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
satans_banjo said:
since i bought a mac a few months ago i have amassed quite a collection of iTunes tracks in my collection. i have been thinking of getting into DJ'ing on an internet radio station and i was wondering if it would allow me to stream iTunes m4a's through to the station's mostly PC-based clientele. is that possible?
satans_banjo,
I thought the same that it would be great to do an internet radio station, that is until I did some research. If you are goint to use music then you need to see what license you will need. I would check out BMI "Brocast Music Inc." and ASCAP "American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers". Here are a couple of links that have info on using music and the web: BMI and Webcasting and ASCAP and Webcasting. The music that you buy on a CD at the store or a track from the iTunes Music Store is for personal use and is not for broadcasting. If you are going to "broadcast" or "stream" this music then all those involved in making that song need to be paid. With 15 years in radio broadcasting, one thing I know you dont want to do is mess with any group like BMI, ASCAP or the FCC. Before you start playing music make sure that you follow all the rules. Best of luck to you.

Warmest Regards,

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
SE London
thanks for the advice

it's starting to sound more risky by the second. it would probably not be worth it in that case

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.