NicePlayer v0.96.2 (581)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jan 12, 2018.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

@Dronecatcher

Was wondering what your opinion on NicePlayer is (if you have one).

https://github.com/jbtule/NicePlayer/releases

The version in the title is PowerPC (at the bottom of the page).

I was trying to reinstall Perian last night when I decided to try this. Seems to work well, has all the stuff Perian does. However, I'm no expert with video players, codecs, etc so thought I'd get your opinion and the opinion of anyone else who wants to chime in.

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

I did try it many moons ago but the one you linked is a newer release so I tried that one to see if there's been any improvement...
    Can't see any - nothing bad with the player as such and it's a nice, clean intereface but way behind Coreplayer, Mplayer, VLC and XBMC in terms of efficiency.
    I'll have a play with it to see if there's hidden magic in the scripting features it has but I suspect Mplayer is still king in being versatile in that respect.

3. Lastic macrumors 6502a

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

It's the first thing I tried :) Also, doesn't work with RTSP 3gp content directed from mobile Youtube either...well, in my locale anyway.

5. XaPHER macrumors regular

XaPHER

Niceplayer uses perian's plugins. I find it nice, myself.

I'm still not catching what's the buzz with smtube though.

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

It's the best way of watching Youtube on a Leopard PowerPC - you select vidoes from an uncluttered, ad free mini browser and the videos launch in your chosen media player instantly. On a later model Powerbook you're watching Youtube in seconds using around 35-40% CPU as opposed to waiting over a minute in a browser loading up junk and buffering and hitting your CPU between 75 - 100% depending on browser.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ew-mactubes-mobile-youtube-installer.2030035/

However, since a Youtube change in early January, the latest version won't play with any media player apart from a specially prepared/compiled MPlayer, which thus far, only @Lastic has managed to get working.

If you search on here, there's lots of ways to watch Youtube on PPC but SMTube was by far the most elegant.