Nick dePlume contacted me, claiming ThinkSecret's Twitter Account.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ricardo Saraiva, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Ricardo Saraiva macrumors newbie

Two years ago I created a few accounts in the popular microblogging site for my websites. I also wanted another Apple related rumors and Mac, just to make the best Apple retretes. I used the name 'ThinkSecret' - but my initial idea was 'thinkdifferent', but it was ocupied. I was perfectly aware that 'ThinkSecret' was a strong name and had once been a mac rumors website - a reference in the mac world, but Think Secret as officialy shut down by Apple no Feruary 14, 2008.

This weekend, I was contacted (Ricardo Saraiva, Editor of the popular portuguese website espacomac.com) by Nick dePlume of Think Secret, to 'claim' subtly Twitter account of ThinkSecret.

I was never my intestino to create accounts of companies or websites on Twitter to make a profit later. I have total respect for "Nick dePlume" and the site Think Secret, who always I considered a reference. I think, not olá me, but all Apple enthusiasts, they felt a great sadness when the ThinkSecret closed doors.

Today, much has changed, the rumors are published on large international websites, instead of small publications, created by Apple fans.

But what is the purpose or the interest of 'Nick dePlume' in the Twitter account? My e-mail should not have been easy to find... and he sent me an e-mail directly.

My only question (in exchange for the twitter account) will be: TheThinkSecret will reopen?

Full Nick dePlume e-mail:

http://www.espacomac.com/nick-deplu...clamar-conta-twitter-thinksecret-vai-reabrir/

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

He might not have wanted you to be so public with it, especially posting a screenshot of the email. But ho hum.

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I read his email to you. It seems pretty clear. He's interested in buying the name off you.

And it is quite easy to find your email address - you are a well known person online, and googling your name shows a lot about you. A telephone call to your website offices might work too.

4. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

5. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Why don't you discuss it with him like he suggests at the end of the email?

6. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Ineffective name blurring 101 -

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

the way i am reading that email, it doesnt seem like he is planning on buying anything but instead had a subtle threat of a lawsuit due to trademark or copyright or whatever you call it.

big picture...just ignore it. its inconsequential and will impact no huge earth forces.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Did I miss something? Doesn't Apple pretty much own Thinksecret now? I could have swore they bought him out to shut it down.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Turn about is fair play. ThinkSecret published things that weren't quite ready for the public eye as well, you know? :)

10. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Surely this "Nick" character doesn't have a leg to stand on?

Sell it to him.

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

12. jtara macrumors 65816

I don't see any threat, but perhaps (or not) an overstatement of rights. What do you suppose he means when he says "we own the think secret" name?

It's not a registered trademark. (At least in the U.S.) And one doesn't "own" a domain name - it's simply "registered", for a period determined by pre-payment to the registrar.

There are, of course, non-registered trademark rights, the details of which vary country-by-country.

I would take it just as it sounds on the surface. "You don't use it much (in his view) so why not just be a good guy and hand it over?" Just say "thanks but no thanks" and see where it goes from there.

On the other hand, you should know you are teetering on an edge-case of the law, or at least ethics (IMO). Whether you seek to profit or not, it's taking advantage of somebody else's well-known trade name.

(I dunno anything about the site or history of this particular name. So, maybe I missed something...)

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ha! Good point.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Ha!

First thing I noticed too.