Nickname support in iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spaceballl, Apr 12, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi there,

I know the "nickname" field is available in the iPhone, but is there a way to have the iPhone use nicknames as caller IDs? I'd rather have my dad's name say "Dad" when he calls rather than his first/last name.

2. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

The only way I know of would be to put his first name as "Dad" and leave the last name blank.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

yeah - don't like that though because I have my phone sync up w/ my address book, which syncs w/ my email, etc etc - so i want people's proper names preserved and they have a nickname field for a reason!

oh well

4. sreehemanth macrumors newbie

:apple: that's how apple does it...

yeah, i have been dying to see this feature come through... for a real long time now...

i think it can work out easily, if... Apple updates the iPhone OS with an ability to sort the contacts by "nickname -first, and then by firstname, and so on"...

this way, the actual names of the contacts will be saved and the users could still use the contacts by the nicknames...

i wish the someone at Apple... would "actually" accede to this request...

:apple:

5. sreehemanth macrumors newbie

its been looong, any updates??

I have found this discussion thread on Google search... and have hashed out my message without checking the dates... :p

i have just noticed that spaeball's message is from April '08...

its Jan '10 now... do you know of "any" updates on this regard?? please reply...

thanks

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Attached Files: