Nicotine Smell/Stains on MBP Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLucas, May 26, 2011.

1. iLucas macrumors 6502

Last week I found a used first gen MBP that looks good as new and it was a fair price so i decided to get it. When i received it i come to find out it reeks of tobacco and has some stains on the keyboard. How do I make it smell better, if possible? And what would be the best thing to try to clean the keyboard with ?

Sorry if this has been asked many times before.

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Be carefully not do anything too aggressive might wipe some of the anodized layer off. Some people go mad, dont get me wrong anodized aluminum isn't soft just what some people consider safe cleaning practises ...

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Could be the next market for Febreeze to jump on :cool:

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Take up smoking?

You'll find it difficult to get rid of the tobacco smell. It will be throughout the internals due to the fans.

You may have to resell it to a smoker.

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Im sure theres a easier way then this ...

Could try using air freshener around the computer all day long.

6. maxxed macrumors newbie

I've dealt with this issue before. I used to smoke and when passing my used laptops to family/friends I would clean them up.

For the smell. Deodorant (off the shelf) comes in two types. Spray with Antipersperant + Deoderant, and spray Deodorant only. Get the latter. Deodorant works to kill ALL smells, not just smelly pits ;) Spray onto a very slightly damp cloth and apply over a period of time, and the smell will go away.

About the smell being sucked into the internals through the fan. This is somewhat true. I have sprayed a single ply tissue gently so its still fairly dry and held it over the vent, so it sucks in the deodorized air.

Within a week, no smells. YMMV

For the staining this is more difficult without photos. Those are more likely to be burn/ash marks than actual nicotine stains?

7. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

This is what we do to clean computers that have tabacco/tar/nicotine smells and stains.

Look for Air Freshener that have Neutrador, and use it around the said unit, this will be cleansed the internal smells, but if the unit have been used in such an environment for a long time, I would really suggest getting the fans looked at, as accumulation of sticky tar (death by smoking?) on the fans is not uncommon.(usually overheating and noisy fans)

I personally use Air Freshener from Amway as this also works in neutralizing the smells. For cleaning the body and keyboard, a mix of Liquid Organic Cleaner, also from Amway (1 part LOC and 5 parts water) a damp cloth, and a soft tooth brush, helps with the body, keyboards, and screen, as this will gently remove stains and smell without damaging any parts of the computer.

Been using them for 10 years to clean computers that smells and have stains!

8. iLucas thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not plan to take up smoking, haha.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will try these and see if I get any results.