Niece 's high school year book team and the assignment requires taking pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mtbdudex, Oct 8, 2014.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Gang - advice here is appreciated.

Situation:
    My Niece is on her high school year book team and the assignment requires taking pictures

Budget: $300 - $500 for camera/lens/other

I'm thinking mirrorless camera, possible like this newer one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040896-GREY/canon_eos_m_ml_camera_18_55.html
    Here is the original email from my sister...
    They have compact camera and iPhone5, however those not good enough nor quick shutter press to image.
    I appreciate your advice.

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

That can't take any action shots. Google EOS M review. It sometimes can't even focus on still objects. Bad, bad camera.

3. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I'd pick up a Nikon D3300 with the 18-55 II kit lens. You can get one used for your budget. Fantastic little camera that takes pictures like a $2,000 DSLR. (Doesn't have the options of a pro DSLR, but who really needs all that stuff anyway?) It's so light you can take it anywhere and is easy to use.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

AllergyDoc is right.
    The D3300 is an amazing bang for the buck and will do everying your niece wants to do. It will also go much further if she ever decides she needs other video/photo.

5. mtbdudex, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I did a search before advising my sister, thought it was decent, now I see this:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-m/canon-eos-mA.HTM
    So the autofocus totally sucks, that's not good.

This guy, who also shoot full frame 5D mkII, seems to like it, but as a 2nd camera for those who now how to shoot and compose and get around it's focus limitations

OK, I've got DSLR and my sister in law also (I advised her), my niece I was trying something more compact yet capable, seems mirrorless to do that still costs too much $$$.

Will re-think and look at options.
    Thx

6. dadudeness macrumors regular

dadudeness

Do yourself a favor and avoid the Eos M.

If DSLR is too large, of course you can go mirrorless.

I would keep an eye on Olympus' Pen (µ4/3 sensor) series, Sony's NEX (DSLR-like APS-C) and maybe Nikon's 1 series (Nikon CX format 1" sensor).

All of them are quite compact and there are several models that fit in the given budget.

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

IMHO, DSLR got good enough several years ago. They autofocus fast enough for most subjects, they aren't noisy in good light... If she's not yet into photography, I'd look into a refurbished camera or a used one and pair it with some decent lenses.

Locally, I can find a Canon t2i with its kit lens for 300-350$. It's a great little camera. It has same sensor as the 7d, 60d and t5i... It takes HD video and really should get more credit than it does. Get a 50mm f/1.8 (100$) or the new EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake (150$) and you're all set.

With the pancake lens it would be a reasonably small camera. However, if you want to go smaller, I'd look into Sony or m43. Mirorless tends to get expensive only if you want the latest and greatest, if you don't care for a viewfinder and other top-tier features you can get a camera quite cheap.

8. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Niece 's high school year book team and the assignment requires taking pictures

Appreciate the advice, my niece and sister went shopping, Walmart and Costco, they ended up getting Nikon D3200 kit with 2 lens at Costco.
    Hey, I'm a Canon shooter and support their buy 100%.
    (Pls no flame wars)

All her school pictures will be downloaded and edited - post processing- at school.

Family shots will of course be handled at home.
    I told my sister next week apples new computers announcement, she's looking at iMac .

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I started out with a D3200. They are a nice little camera. At least she will be able to get plenty of advice from you!

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

For action images, absolutely. However for static subjects, you can't beat the quality for the price you pay. My EOS M serves as my "pocket" camera when I don't want to lug my D800 around the city. But I shoot mainly cityscapes and landscapes, so I don't rely on AF as heavily as other users might.

To the OP, you may want to look at the Fuji X-E1 or X-E2. The X-E1 is probably more around your price range, but the X-E2 has improved AF even though the IQ is on par to the X-E1. Like other suggested, you can go with a entry level DSLR from Nikon or Canon as well. But I would definitely look at mirrorless options, too.

11. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

While I don't care about Canon vs Nikon, it probably would have been wise for your niece to get a Canon. That way, she could have borrowed your lenses if she had specific requirements, instead of having to buy the lenses herself or rent.

12. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Yep - 100% agree, I live 75 minutes away (I'm Uncle Mike), Aunt Lisa lives 3 minutes away....my sister inlaw has a Nikon high end DLSR so if need be my niece can borrow her constant f2.8 24-70 for low light shooting indoors....she had actually borrowed that camera the week before and felt comfortable with it...
    I left that detail out of the thread....

Hey - it's all good stuff, 3 of us now shoot DLSR!
    Over Thanksgiving we will need to have a mini family shoot out....the turkey trot contest or something....