Night Mode in iOS 9.3 Also Solves a Much Bigger Hidden Issue (For Those on the Forums :))

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jan 15, 2016.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apparently Blue Light Reduction mode in iOS 9.3, also dubbed Night Mode, has a hidden trick up its sleeve that should make many that care about their display's color temperature happy: it finally allows users to set the color temperature of their display to their personal preference. What does this mean exactly? That when iPhone 7 comes out, whenever somebody on the forum complains that the display is too "yellow" (warm) for their liking we can point them to setting the display's color temperature to a cooler (bluer) temperature, which is now possible.

It was a long time coming since many iPhones' color temperatures are set slightly differently off the production line and thus there have been disparities even between two of the same model side-by-side, but Apple has fixed this issue and hidden it into Night Mode for us display enthusiasts :).

Personally I prefer a warm display, and heck one of the reasons I didn't buy an iPad mini 4 when it was on-sale for under $299 was because the display was too cool compared to my iPhone 6s Plus's warm display, which I love.

[​IMG]

2. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

Nah, the coolest setting in night shift mode is still warmer than the base setting of your screen. So you can only go warmer, not cooler.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Might be ideal as on the lowest brightness at night it is still way too bright

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Ah, I assumed Apple had baked it in for those that want an increase in blue light. I'm not on the 9.3 beta but this is welcome to me for if I receive an iPhone/iPad that's not warm enough :).

5. tsang2320 macrumors demi-god

accessibility/zoom/ (full screen zoom + low light filter)
    have been using it for a long while.

6. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

But that requires Zoom to be turned on right?

7. tsang2320 macrumors demi-god

Yah. Turn it on and choose full screen zoom.
    After you choose to not zoom in at all, the dark filter will then be the only difference.

8. 3568358 macrumors 6502

9. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

You can shortcut zoom setting to "triple click on home button", then you can switch instantly between normal settings and extra dark at bedtime with 3 clicks on/ 3 clicks off. I use this feature every night

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It also won't help if half your screen is yellow and the other half is blue white.

11. thatJohann macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

It doesn't work that way. Even with the slider all the way to the cooler setting, it's still warmer than having Night Shift off. You can't adjust display temperature sadly.

12. brianjsw01, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

brianjsw01 macrumors member

Yep, you're right. This feature can only make your display warmer than it already is.

One interesting observation is that when this setting is turned on, there's a color aberration when scrolling text up and down. Blue text looks purple while you scroll (and only while you scroll) and black text kind of glows a little with red fringing on the edges of characters.... And white text like when you use the dark Tapatalk theme turns brownish.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The bar is definitely misleading considering it is blue on the left and yellow on the right. That could certainly be changed.