'Night stand' all night

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rontej0226, Feb 16, 2011.

1. rontej0226 macrumors newbie

Guys,

What do you think about leaving a program on like "night stand" , alarm clock, etc...all night?

How bad is it on the battery? (screen on but dim)

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not sure how bad it would be on the battery and I also wonder how bad it would be for the screen. Can you burn an image in by leaving it on for a long time?

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I leave my phone plugged in on my dock when I go to bed. I've only ran the app a couple of times because I have no idea if it is bad for the screen even being on dim. I have auto-wallpaper change so it doesnt leave the same image all night, but I'm still worried about how it will affect the display. If anyone knows, info would be great.

4. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

I ran mine all night for two weeks in a row and it was fine. No issues

5. shadrap macrumors 6502

I have been using mine as an alarm clock for 2 weeks and will continue doing so. No issues, thus far.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use Nightstand Central every night plugged in and have had no issues
    Have for months

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

When I go on vacation, I use the "Alarm Clock" app every night while my phone is docked and charging. I have yet to experience any issues whatsoever with the screen. Then again, I use the app for a week or so, and it might be 6 months to a year before I use the app again. I don't use it on a daily basis.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

LCD do not suffer from burn in.
    Burn it was a CRT issue not a LCD issue.

Blackberries do not suffer from any type of burn in and most of them default to a clock when plugged in that stays the entire time. Given the fact that most people never change off default safe to say we would hear about burn in from that group if there was an issue.

I know on my blackberry it goes to a clock every night and is my bedside clock and there is zero burn in issue.

9. ed.g macrumors member

I use Alarm Clock Pro on the weekdays. I almost never left my iPhone plugged at night, I have wifi, push notifications, fetch and 3G on and the maximum my battery went down over night is 10%.

10. kicko macrumors 65816

not so true LCD can burn but its not as much of a factor as with other types of displays .

from wiki:
    (with) LCDs, the mechanics of burn-in is different than plasma and OLED, which develop burn-in from luminance degradation of the light-emitting pixels. For LCDs, burn-in develops in some cases because pixels permanently lose their ability to return to their relaxed state after a continued static usage profile. In more typical usage profiles this image persistence in LCD is only transient. All major LCD manufacturers' warranties exclude coverage for burn-in (permanent image persistence) as a result.[citation needed]

Both plasma-type and LCD-type displays exhibit a similar phenomenon called transient image persistence, which is sometimes confused with screen burn but is not permanent. In the case of plasma-type displays transient image persistence is caused by charge build-up in the pixel cells (not cumulative luminance degradation as with burn-in), which can be seen sometimes when a bright image that was set against a dark background is replaced by a dark background only; this image retention is usually released once a typical-brightness image is displayed and does not inhibit the display's typical viewing image quality.