night video with 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I've been looking through the videos of the iPhone 3G S and overall I am quite impressed with the video quality from a phone.

But one thing I have yet to see is a video taken from the 3G S at night. It his able to produce good quality videos as well? Anyone with experience with this please let me know. Also any video links would be amazing :)

2. Acronym macrumors 68000

i havent hosted any on youtube but i took some video at night and it doesnt take good quality at all its dark and thats all you see is dark, if there is an external light source then it is fine but aside from that you wont see a thing

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

hmm so is it worse quality than expected? I mean obviously we don't expect it to have night vision. but if there is low light outside, that an average video camera would be able to pick up and take a decent quality shot, would the iPhone work equally well?

Because I know my 3g seems to have exceptionally poor night picture taking. I was wondering if the 3gs video (and pictures too really) does a better job being able to pick up smaller amounts of light.

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I took vid at a strip club. Can't see anything :(

5. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

[​IMG]

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

My $4,000 Canon SLR camera can't take usable photos in the dark, so it's really not a shocker that the $5 on-a-chip camera in the iPhone can't hack it either.

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

pics or it didn't happen... haha

So it sounds like the low light video quality if the 3gs leaves much to be desired... well I'm not upgrade eligible anyways, so I'm just gonna hold off till the 2010 iphone...

Still I think overall the iphone provides a great quality camera for a phone. I do wish the next one could provide some sort of flash for stills and video. I heard a MR member with the idea of using the apple logo on the back to light up. This is definitely something I could see apple doing. It's simple and elegant. And they already do this on the macbook and mbp lines. of course the light would need to be either off or very dim for normal usage and then light up brilliantly for a flash shot or for low light video footage. Opinions on this idea?

I mean flash and front facing camera are really the only two major hardware things I can see coming in the next iphone. i mean it could get another speed bump as well, or a slightly better rear camera... but that's about it. of course they have plenty that they could do from a software perspective. that will never end :)

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Maybe "something" was in the way...

9. Maverickster macrumors regular

Problem with low-light video is you need a giant f'in lens to do it well. My dedicated and fairly high-end Canon HD Camcorder struggles to do it without too much video noise. The iPhone doesn't stand a chance.

--Mav

10. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

k, so then what do you all think about the apple logo flash idea?

11. Maverickster macrumors regular

I think it would be too much flash for too little camera and require too much space in an already cramped container and too much juice on an already taxed battery. Really, I think what they've done with the camera and video is bring it to sort of middle-of-the-road cell-phone-quality and left it there, and I'd expect they'll keep on that pace. It's great to have a easy, quick camera/camcorder when there's an emergent or candid moment that you don't have a real camera for, but I'd be surprised if they try to make it into something even remotely competitive with a real, even low-end point-and-shoot.

12. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

well yes i know the apple logo is rather large, but you can vary how bright it is. only give it as much flash as it needs.

I can't imagine a tiny little light taking up too much room. and the speed that sizes are shrinking should make up for that come 2010

it'll only take up battery life if you use it. you'll only use it when you need it. if you only use video and pics in good lighting it won't affect your battery life at all. Yeah obviously the more you use it the more it eats up your battery, but that's only if the person wants to use it. (plus lighting a bulb doesn't take nearly as much power compared to accessing the internet at high speeds)

I mean yes i can see your point that apple probably won't go in that direction to make the camera compete with stand alone cameras.... but i know i actually do want my iphone to be able to replace my camera, eventually. Sure there may be other features that are more important, but at this point it's kind of hard to see what that is.

On the hardware side I can only think of

front facing camera? this is something that will almost certainly be added at some point. who knows when.. I know that at this point it doesn't serve a huge need for me.

faster processor? yes this will be done, but maybe not next year since we just had a substantial bump

Better camera? This could fairly easily be done

Flash camera? this could fairly easily be done

more memory? Yes this will certainly be done

What else? just minor tweaks really...

13. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I was thinking the same thing ;) Perhaps we should complain about the inability of iPhone to pick up "flesh tones" in low light situations....

14. Maverickster macrumors regular

I just wouldn't hold my breath. There are phones out there with actually quite good cameras in them. I just don't see Apple making the iPhone one of them. It hasn't been a focus of theirs so far and while they've made some notable improvements in the 3GS over prior generations, they don't seem focused on it (which, frankly, I don't entirely understand given the multimedia focus of the device as a whole). For me, personally, there's a long list of features and upgrades I'd like to see before "better camera/video", but I'm pretty content with it as is.

--Mav

15. shrewd macrumors member

16. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I'm pretty sure that Apple's engineers are coming up with new and cool mind bending hardware things to add that we haven't even thought of.

1. OLED screen.

2. Pico Projector.

3. BT headphones with dock.

Those are just a few ideas and I'm sure they have 20 more they are looking at. You don't stay in the #1 position without pushing boundaries constantly.

17. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yeah, i mean this is what everyone is hoping for. That apple will come out with an iphone next summer and we will all say "OOOH... WOW... putting that in a phone... who would have thought it.. amazing! :) "

And this is certainly possible, and hopeful. but as for your suggested hardware?
    OLED- at this point, it is still bad quality in direct sunlight.
    pico projector- really?? i doubt it.. too gimmicky for apple
    bt headphones- ummm apple has been dominating the music industry for quite some time and still have managed to not come out with this. they did have a bluetooth piece for the iphone which sucked and was discontinued...

18. jviphone macrumors member

and Nikon introduces..iphone plug in flash ... in 5...4....3....2.....

Im sure an add on flash will be created with the ability to use and control add on devices with applications..

19. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Well that's no surprise that the iPhone does not take photos or video well in the dark, because for ALL types of cameras you must have a light source. CFS

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

here is a firework video shot in low light

by a member here sf_ramsden Livonia spree fireworks 2009 finale Apple never said the video or camera was good in low light again it cracks me up what people expect from a cell phone kinda like me asking how the phone reception is on my camera! the Iphone is a cell 1st and formost! ;) and for fun check out Livonia Spree '09 Fireworks - Backwards :cool:

21. Wayazo macrumors newbie

Night Vids, Photos

JMPage2: Your $4k Cannon SLR should be able to take good photos in the dark. I'll assume it's digital, just need the right settings. Even if it's film, you can do it. I have a Nikon D700 DSLR that takes outstanding photos after dark. You can see a few at www.nikonians.org. Go to galleries and search for "Wayazo". Look for a photo under the landscape photo called Twilight at the Guest Dock. This was taken 30-40 minutes after sunset f/4 @ 2.5 sec.

THe iPhone 3Gs doesn't have the low lux capabilities needed to take quality night shots, but it will take passable shots especially if you like sihlouettes. I did take a short vid 30 minutes after sunset that wasn't too bad. It's a bit blurry. See it here:

http://gallery.me.com/wayazo Look for a folder, Video Clips.

22. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Your $4K SLR can definitely take great photos in the dark (hell, my 2 year old £550 Canon SLR can!). Your problem is probably your lens or maybe you use the 'automatic' setting. If you learn to use your piece of amazing equipment beyond point and shoot, then you'll be very impressed with what it can do.

23. Maverickster macrumors regular

24. alFR macrumors 68020

Tiny lens in "can't gather enough light for good video in the dark" shocker. :rolleyes:

25. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Apparently to some...;)