Nightlife in Vancouver / Coquitlam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by messedkid, Jul 6, 2009.

1. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Hey guys,
    if any of you follow me on twitter (doubt it :rolleyes:), you probably have read that I am moving to Vancouver later this month for school (so for at least 2 - 3 years).

Still have no idea what there is to do in and around Coquitlam (where I'm moving to) besides the Coquitlam Centre (a mall I suppose) not being to far away.

Anybody here from Vancouver or Coquitlam, who could help this lil' fellow out?

Much appreciated. :D

2. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Alright your going to want to head downtown to a place called "The Rusty Nail" around 2300 hrs. Then ask around for a guy named Veronica :D

3. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

The Crime Lab on Robson, West Vancouver, is a restaurant and after hours club that figures in some of my most memorable moments in Vancouver.

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

there is a reason why Vancouver is called the NoFun city.

frankly the night life here sucks. especially when compared to european nightlife.

Coquitlam is a little off from fun stuff but with the skytrain you can get just about anywhere in the GVRD.

Which school are you going to ?

5. messedkid thread starter macrumors 6502

messedkid

That is very depressing. lol
    I was actually hoping to try to get out more. Between work and school here in Germany I didn't get out to often, and when I did, it wasn't all that different from going out at night when I lived in Oshawa, Ontario. (although..drunk german guys are MUCH louder than drunk canadian guys)

I'm going to BCIT for Computer Systems Tech. Although I did finish Elementary and High School in Ontario, as well as just finishing a 3 year apprenticeship at a Data Centre, and going to Heinrich Hertz Berufs Kolleg (school) here in Germany, I still need to take an English and Math test before I find out if I get accepted or not.

So no real suggestions of places to hit up and check out? I always thought Vancouver was THE place to be in Canada. ;)

I'm 22, male and straight btw, if that helps suggestions. :)

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

You never know when you'll catch a glimpse of Tom Welling.. you can at least say that about Vancouver.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And you can grab a few eggs at the grocery store.

Surely Superman can dodge some eggs.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

To be honest, I'm not a "night life" kind of fellow, even before I left Vancouver. For night life, Toronto and Montreal are better bets.

However, Vancouver is the best place to be for "day life" and "weekend" activities in the outdoors. There are 3 local ski hills in or adjacent to the metro area, some with night skiing. Want something more challenging than local hills, drive 90 minutes (or take the bus) to Whistler Blackcomb, consistently ranked the #1 or in the #5 ski hills in North America (rankings change by year). If you don't ski, then go snowboarding, there are other downhill winter sports. If you don't do snow sports, then you can take mountain bikes up the lifts and roll down. Its harder than it sounds. Or, you can hike the Grouse Grind. Still not challenged, roll down a mountain on a unicycle. Don't laugh, people do it. The son of one of our friends gave that up for long-boarding. It's a 1.5 to 2 meter skateboard that you lie on your back on, and you zip down the steepest roads you can find. Its not unusual to go 60 or 80 kph.

Don't do wheels or skis and boards, then that whole area is full of hiking trails. This isn't urban hiking, this is tough wilderness hiking. The North Shore (North Vancouver and West Vancouver - the area on the north side of the harbour) has the best volunteer rescue unit in North America 'cause they get so much practice. People will think because they took a city bus to the trail-head it is a stroll. They get lost, break a leg, get caught in bad weather, all within sight of a major city. Sometimes they die, so be prepared if you hike. It took something like 40 or 50 years to find a commercial passenger plane that had crashed way back when sophisticated search technology that didn't exist. When it was found, the hiker used their cell phone to call it in. The North Shore mountains are that rugged.

Mountain climbing is obviously an option. Lots of mountains. Glacier climbing too. Best known area is Mount Baker in Washington state, if your visa allows you to cross the border.

Don't hike? You can sail all year round. Summer is actually the worst time to sail due to lack of winds. Golf - well, I've never seen the allure but perhaps you do. Camping is popular. A bunch of drunk Germans or Canadians can have a lot of fun around the campfire. Watch out for bears, cougars, and other wildlife. There are populations of wild bear and cougar within the metro area, so you can imagine what you may meet when you camp outside the metro areas. This can be a year 'round activity. Snow camping is popular too. Kayaking is right outside your door, or you can drive a few hours and kayak in nearly pristine wilderness. You can take public transportation to some of these wilderness kayak put-ins. Its not unusual for kayakers to be checked out by whales. Depending on season and location, humpback, grey, or orca (killer whale).

A days drive puts you in Tofino, near Long Beach National Park, the best surfing in Canada. OK, it doesn't really rank with Hawaii or California - but its still surfing.

The province encompasses all the global climatic zones, except for Saharan desert and High Arctic. In other words, if you want to experience desert head east to Ossoyos - it is in the Mojave desert. You want sub-arctic tundra, head north and up a mountain. Vancouver is in a temperate rain-forest already, but head to Prince Rupert for real rain or back to Tofino. Want to know what a hurricane feels like? Be in Tofino during one of the winter storms. It is common for the storms to blow up to hurricane strength winds in the winter. They aren't called hurricanes because of the structure of the storm, though. Heck, a couple of years ago a hurricane strength storm blew through Vancouver - that's why so many trees are missing in Vancouver.

Salmon fishing is popular (in season). Either salt water at the mouth's of the rivers in the harbour or just standing on the river bank. There are some serious regulations, though - so get a license and understand the rules. Tourists will spend a $1000 or more to fly to remote areas to fish for Salmon. You can rent a small boat at Granville Island for a $100, fish a river mouth, and be home for dinner to cook and eat it.

If you know how to sail you can rent a sail boat with 2, 3, 4 or more people and explore the Gulf Islands - an archipelago of islands between Vancouver Island and the mainland. During a long weekend you can sail out, anchor in quiet uninhabited coves, or anchor in one of populated harbours. Every good harbour has a pub which you can reach with the dinghy.

Get outside when you can, and you may never miss the night life.

Biking trails wind through Vancouver, so its no wonder you see so many bikers and roller-bladers. Best beach in the summer is Kits Beach. Trust me on that one. If you are a clothing optional kind of guy, look up Wreak beach.

9. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with the above poster. Vancouver is totally awesome if you are into outdoor activities. I used to live in Coquitlam for my high school and couldn't wait to get out because the city felt so small, boring and lack of nightlife. Only until I left did I realize how great Vancouver is. The places I moved to are world-class in its own right: Toronto, SoCal, Edinburgh. However none of these places can compete with Vancouver in natural beauty, quality of life, and outdoor sports.

I went back to Vancouver and visited Vancouver Island (Tofino and Ucluelet) last summer and I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could find a suitable job. I can't remember the last time I go into a REAL forest in Toronto or LA, yet it's practically everywhere in Vancouver. Other advantage of Van is the abundance of cheap & FRESH seafood, notably sushi and sashimi. The only downside of Vancouver, as mentioned, is lack of exciting night life and depressing weather in winter (rains every fuxking day). Ha..

Oh, Stephan, I followed you on twitter. That should cheer you up mate. ;)

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't want to hijack the thread, but what is Abbotsford like? It's just outside Vancouver, but is it a decent place to live?

And I may as well ask here, since MR is such a great resource for this type of info .....Prince George? :eek:

11. messedkid thread starter macrumors 6502

messedkid

Sounds awesome! Thank you so much for such a detailed post.

SCORE! :D

Although I am now a little upset about the lack of nightlife, but whatever I suppose, not the end of the world. ;)
    So far Vancouver sounds awesome though. I've been looking up hiking and bike trails via google maps and Trailrunner.app, and I'm liking what I see.

Thanks alot guys. Keep the suggestions coming. :)

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm no expert on either place, but if you listed what kind of things you like in a community, then perhaps people can help. Obviously there are people who like living in PG - but you couldn't pay me to move there. Why, may I ask, are you interested in PG and Abbotsford?

13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

is the very religious part of Lower Mainland.
    however is great place if you are christian and have kids. lots of affordable housing. and safe compared to the rest of lower mainland.

Personally I could not live in Abbotsford, too suburbia for me.

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Vancouver is a great city to live in , lots to do , indoors and out.
    Just the night life sucks.

but being able to go skiing 30 min from my house during day , then have dinner and drink on beach restaurant patio and be able to walk home from there is awesome.

If you are into outdoors , Vancouver is the place to be.
    one of my fave things to do is run ( ok walk:p ) the Grouse Grind, then have lunch/dinner up on the mountain while admiring the view of the city. watching the sun set into the ocean while on the peak is breathtaking.

for night life , there are a number of decent clubs in Gastown and on Granville, good but not exceptional.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There's a job up in Abbotsford that I was considering, but if asked, they may want me to move to PG after 2 years. :eek:

I really don't want to move to PG. I could put up with Abbotsford.

I like big or even medium-sized cities, which I'm well aware that PG is not. That's my problem with it. I love the outdoors, but I don't want to live alone in a cabin in the woods or something.

16. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

if the job is in Abbotsford you can live in the surrounding areas, most of lower mainland/ fraser valley is pretty connected. from downtown Abbotsford to downtown Van is about 45 min.

17. messedkid thread starter macrumors 6502

messedkid

Gastown is ~30 mins away from where I'm moving to...so thats not bad.
    I hear they have a pretty snazzy clock there. ;)

I just reread that and realized it says "guy named veronica". :rolleyes: Not even going to ask. ;)

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

Oh, you'll figure it out pretty quick. :D Spend some time in the West End (the neighbourhood nearest Stanley Park) on Hallowe'en.

Also, in a custom I've seen no where else, fireworks on Hallowe'en is a big thing.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you could find the right neighbourhood to live in that was commuting distance to Abbotsford, but on Skytrain line you could have both. You could zip into downtown for the city life in the evening (and zip back with a beer or two in you) but still have an easy drive to the job.

PG is not just a small city, its also got a hard edge to it. Some hard times, really hard drinking, and not much else to do.

Good Luck with the move.