Nightmare repair man and macbook lock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kjuliff, Apr 15, 2007.

1. kjuliff macrumors newbie

I had a repairman come to replace the back cover of my MacBook (black).

He did this but after he left I noticed he'd left behind a small metal part I also noticed the thing would no longer snap shut.

I called the company and they said he'd be here again at 2:00pm. I described the problem. He turned up at 4:40pm and asked me to print the pages of the do it yourself guidelines on ifixit.com. I did this bus was annoyed as I'd printed them on the first day and hadn't kept them. I reprinted, using up an ink cartridge.

Once it was in pieces he looked and said he didn't know where the part went.

So now I have a small metal prism 1/2" by 1/4" by 1/4" and a laptop that won't snap shut.

Can someone advise on where this part goes so I can get someone else to put it back?

And what should I do about the repairman?

Kate (depressed)

2. PCRanger macrumors regular

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This would be a warranty repair, i'm guessing, so killing him would seem to be the only option.

Call Applecare and/or the management of the company who employs the technician. Ask for your machine to be properly fixed.

4. sturigdson macrumors regular

So sorry to hear about this. what a drag!

was this actually a warranty job, or did you pay somebody?

I agree with Canada- Just keep hounding them. It is their responsibility to have done the repair properly. It's time to talk to the management of the repairman's company, and tell them that they need to fix the issue. Seems to me that they sent somebody who is incompetent.

If they say they can't fix the issue, ask for a refund [if you paid]. If not, just keep hounding them until they agree to fix the outstanding problems [the case not snapping shut properly.] Remind them that this issue was NOT PRESENT before the repair, and was in fact caused by their error.

Be firm with them, otherwise they may just not pay much attention to you, and your great macbook won't be the same... : (

5. kjuliff thread starter macrumors newbie

Nightmare repair man and macbook lock

I don't think they will charge me. But I want the MAC fixed. So what can I do now?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Have you called them?

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

So if the laptop doesn't snap shut and a metal prism is out then it must be the magnetic latch that is missing/broken/not fixed?

8. iBecks macrumors 6502

There are 2 magnets - one each side at the top of the case, there is also 1 small magnet that fits in the screen housing on the left side.

It sounds like this is what has been left out.

You should definately complain and ask for another engineer visit.

It sounds like he hasn't fitted the magnets correctly and left one out completely.