Nightmare with MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ryan101, Aug 12, 2014.

1. ryan101 macrumors member

Hi All,

I bought a MacBook Air around August 2012, so I assume it's the late 2011 model. Anyway when I bought it I spec'd it up to the max so I ordered it with an i7 processor and loads of memory as I don't like slow computers. Anyway, I looked after this MB and it's almost pristine. I found that the Apple updates always a bit of an issue because the most recent one almost killed my laptop. It started freezing etc.

Anyway very soon after this recent update my MB would not see the OS. I know some repair technicians who work with Apple MacBooks on a daily basis and we tried to reinstall the OS, no luck because it didn't even see the HD. Then we thought of changing the HD again no luck. Then I put back the original HD and it would see it again. So I restored from time machine. Then it worked for a day, the next day it goes back to not seeing the HD or OS again. We went back and forth like this for about a week. I don't know what else to do.

I spent about £1,300 on this MB less than 2 years ago and for it to die so quickly is shocking. I moved from Microsoft Windows thinking Macs are better and more stable and paid 3 times the prices - but my mac lasted 2 years when my Windows laptops on average lasted more than 5 years.

I had the standard one year warranty so I doubt if Apple would even look at it. I am now in a situation where I am thinking about buying another laptop. As I already have an iMac, iPad, iPhone, it kind of forces to get another Mac. I would need to spend £2,000 to get the MB that I want. I would rather make this MB Air work if I can because right now I am going through some tough financial times. Does anyone have any idea what it could be. I know that if it's the main logic board then it may not make financial sense to repair it. Could it be that?

Please help if you can make any suggestions.

Thank you

2. Nee412 macrumors 6502

Apple will still look at it if you take it into one of their stores. They'll even tell you what's wrong with it if they can figure it out. They're pretty good like that.

What you're not covered for out of warranty is any repairs or replacement that may be needed needed.

3. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Apple's out of warranty repairs can be an amazing good deal. I would take it to Apple and ask them to look at it.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

Did you buy your MBA with a credit card? Some cc issuers extend the manufacturer's warranty. It was an August purchase so I hope you are covered someway.

Good luck

5. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Hi All, Firstly thank you for your kind replies.

@Susan, I did pay with a card. However, from what I remember it was most likely my business debit card.

All of this started around the time when loads of people around the world were having issues with their 2011 MacBook Air after doing updates. I also bumped into this post and thread after doing research because my MB kept crashing soon after installing that update:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6460212?start=0&tstart=0

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ing-issues-with-latest-macbook-air-efi-update

Although I am not "that" technical, I am technical enough, and the Apple products repair technicians that looked at are fairly competent as far as technicians go, and I have seen the work that they have done in the past - and it's been amazing some times. So I called Apple store in Regent Street in London just now, and got through to their tech support call centre in Ireland. They said we did all the right things which was, we eliminated that it wasn't the hard disk, by replacing the hard disk, we eliminated that it wasn't the software by re-installing a fresh OS as well restoring from backup. We also removed various Apps at the very beginning of this process, just as a sanity to check to make sure it wasn't any buggy apps.

The Apple Store tech guy I spoke to said he could not say what it was, and the only way to know is to bring it in to them to see. The earliest appointment is in 1 weeks time. They said they will look at it. However, it could mean I am without a laptop between 3 weeks to 5 weeks. I am self employed so I need something at home to work with. I have also not heard great things Apple Apple tech support or genius bar. Anything very serious, they often point to the logic board replacement, which very often doesn't make financial sense to repair. However, I should let them have a look to see for myself what they are like.

Going back to this issue. I think it could either be one of two things. Either the connection bit that touches the hard disk or the logic/main board itself.

I am now torn between buying a £2,000 ($3,600) MacBook Pro vs waiting another few weeks to see what happens with this?

One last point. I think success always has a price. The fact that Apple are now so successful, they have almost become like Microsoft. Microsoft used to be known for updates that caused more problems than good. Apple now seem to release updates as often as Microsoft, and half the time they don't seem to help that much.

Anyway, I am done moaning.

Thank you all.

6. Locoman macrumors newbie

I am confused, I didn't think MacBook Air's had a HD. They have a flash storage memory module.

If you have a mid 2012 model Mac Air, they have been known to have their flash drives fail and they has been a recall/replacement program by Apple to replace the memory modules. Need to take it to an Official Apple store to have it checked out.

7. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, It has flash storage. I just called it HD. I bought mine in August 2012 and I bought it an Apple Store. Do you have any information on this recall. Do you have any links to share with me? Thank you.

----------

Thanks I just found this:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

Why the hell didn't Apple tech support tell me this? They could clearly see mine was 2012 model.

8. Locoman macrumors newbie

ryan101, you are welcome, hope it all works out for you. There also has been a fair amount of chatter on the this forum about the issue. I don't know how to search here for it though.

9. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

@Locoman and Everyone Else,

To all that has helped me with this issue. A big thank you and some good news. Apple accepted the issue and said that they will fix it. The bill on my receipt came to £480 (about $800), but the tech said I won't need to pay for it, which is great news because all along I have been saying it's a problem with the MB.

When I took it to the Genius Bar today for my appointment, they said 1 week to repair it. I just an email through in the last hour that says its fixed and that I should come and collect it. Wow that's even better.

However, that kind of creates another problem. As you guys may know I was without a laptop for 2-3 weeks, and since I thought even if Apple accept responsibility they will take a week to repair it, I went out and bought a MB Pro 15" for £1,600. Now I have a dilemma. I love this new MacBook Pro although it's a bit on the heavy side, and I love the fact that it's got 3 times the battery life of my Air which always had a bit of a battery issue from day one. Now I could return the the Pro and get my money back (and I do need the money badly), or I could sell the Air which is now 2 years old. However, I see i7 Airs with my spec selling for £650 to £700 at the max on eBay. I bought it for about £1,100 and I have kept it pristine. It kills me to sell it such a low price.

What would you do?

I suppose I should be happy, it's much better problem to have then the problem I had before.

10. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Return the pro and continue to use the air, seems like a no brainer to me.

11. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I'm glad you got your computer fixed.

Also, you know that's what you just see. I got my MBA (2012) version that I plan on selling at the end of the year. I'm going to start the bidding at $700 and I got my computer for $1280 after tax.

Honestly, I think that's a wonderful price. Any other computer you would try to sell would be a lot lower. I have never seen any other manufacture hold its value as well as Apple.

My MBA is the i5 with 8GB and 128GB SSD by the way.

12. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Just wanted to hop in to say that Macs generally are amazing for longevity. My early 2011 MBP is still chugging along(and it will probably keep on going)

13. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Although everything I own now is by Apple, I am not a Mac CSK PC person. Everyone of my Windows laptops lasted minimum of 5 years. Technology now is just built better. I didn't move to macs because I thought they lasted longer. I personally don't think you get that much more life for paying 3 times the price. It just works better for me.

14. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Really? Where are you paying three times the price for your laptop? The MacBook Pro that I have in possession here is cheaper than comparable laptops here.

I live in NZ.

15. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

It's better quality and it works faster and doesn't slow down. I never got viruses on any of my computers. Although I still think Macs are better.

16. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I see. I had opposite experiences, due to constant updates and viruses I switched to OSX. Glad you are happy with both! I envy your position.

17. pedromcm.pm macrumors 6502

I believe that is obvious that you bought a MBAir 2012 with a faulty SSD.

It was an widespread problem and I know someone that called Apple and they repaired the machine free of charge, no questions asked.

18. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Although it's a better quality product because Apple make the hardware and software, Apple are also now starting to pay for the success. Apple now releases almost as many updates as Microsoft, although it's still less.

19. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Really? I had my last update just 2-3 days ago because I'm running Yosemite. But before that it was many months between updates for me.