Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I watched this on TNT tonight. It's a miniseries based on Stephen King's short stories. It has four episodes, every Wednesdays from 9-11/8-10 central.

Well, it was pretty damn good. I went in with low expectations, as Stephen King adaptions/miniseries generally suck. But the two stories shown in tonight's episode (Battleground and Crouch's End) were very well done.

Anyone noticed that in Battleground, there was not a single line of dialogue? Nicely done.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Raven VII said:
Anyone noticed that in Battleground, there was not a single line of dialogue? Nicely done.
I didn't notice that, but I think you're right.

I thought the first story ("Battleground," starring William Hurt) was great. I wouldn't say it was scary -- my wife and I laughed at a lot of it -- but it was very suspenseful. For some reason it reminded me of "They're Creeping Up On You" from Creepshow (the one with E.G. Marshall and the roaches).

The second episode, I'm sorry to say, was just stupid. I still have no idea what exactly was going on. According to some of the posts at the IMDb message boards, it helps to have read the short story ("Crouch End") that this episode was based on. But hey, it wasn't a total loss; I got to see Claire Forlani for about an hour.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
Raven VII said:

Yeah I thought that that was amazing... he grunted a few times when the army men shot him, or slit his wrists... but no dialogue. It was great.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Butler Trumpet said:
Did anyone see the two tonight? They were really good.
Both of the stories last night were OK. Neither was as good as "Battleground" from last week, but both were better than "Crouch End".

I didn't like the unresolved ending of "Umney's Last Case" (the first one, starring William H. Macy). I thought that when Clyde (the detective) sat down at the notebook and started typing (near the end of the episode) that he was somehow going to switch places with the author again.

I liked "The End of the Whole Mess" (the second one, with Peter and Elliott) a lot better. They did a good job of pacing the story and building up the suspense until the end.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
Lyle said:
I liked "The End of the Whole Mess" (the second one, with Peter and Elliott) a lot better. They did a good job of pacing the story and building up the suspense until the end.

Yes both were better than Crouch End. I think the reason that Battle Ground was so good, was because it was commercial free. So they could go more in-depth with the story. The end of the whole mess was really good I thought. I almost spit out the beer I was drinking the first time he said.... "I just killed my brother" That was a good story.

And its too bad that you cant get TNT on iTunes... that would rule

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
quigleybc said:
I read that book, and I forget everything about it...

it's short stories right?

I wanna see these shows...

and I think I'm gonna

Yeah they are short stories. Every the next two wednesdays. Hopefully they will have done well enough for them to do more. I think last nights second has been my favorite. About two brothers, one who is basically the smartest person ever, who discovers something in the water in this town in texas, that makes people nice. So he duplicates it and spreads it around the globe. For 3 years or so, all the wars end, north korea and the US are friends and everything is great. (look away now if you dont want to know how it ends) Then the side effect starts... the entire globe comes down with alzheimer's

It was pretty awesome. Well... that would suck if it happened but it was a great story.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
The Road Virus Heads North was pretty crazy..... weird ending.
I havent watched the other one yet, its on my DVR and list of things to do tomorrow.

What did everyone else think?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The second short was a bit surprising. I enjoyed the segment, but there was nothing supernatural about it, which sets it apart from all the other stories I've seen so far.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
Raven VII said:
The second short was a bit surprising. I enjoyed the segment, but there was nothing supernatural about it, which sets it apart from all the other stories I've seen so far.
Yeah, I just watched it. It was pretty good. I still think that the first one with the army men has been the best.

Is next week the last week for these? They said 4 weeks right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.