Nightshift mode ONLY makes screen yellower..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kokhoong0624, Jan 15, 2016.

1. kokhoong0624 macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

Just tested the beta version and... apparently no matter "Cooler" or "Warmer" I select from the night shift mode... it just makes my screen yellower from lowest intensity to highest intensity..
    Can't make the screen blue-er or more cool :l
    Guess it still doesn't solve the "yellow" tint issue....

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Uhh.

It's not designed to introduce more blue light, but only to take away more blue light.

The entire idea behing F.lux or Nightshift mode is that blue light interferes with the body's circadian rhythm. By taking away the blue light(or just displaying less of it), your body is more in tune with your natural desire to sleep.

F.lux and/or Night shift was never advertised or meant to be a color correction assistant.

3. wxman2003 Suspended

Bluish whites are completely wrong to begin with. Not even close to proper D65. A properly calibrated monitor, phone, tv, etc should have the appearance of yellowish whites.

4. dimitricook macrumors newbie

I had also hoped that this feature would be available. The only thing we can do is give this feedback to Apple. Perhaps they do something with it , and build it in a future update.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

6. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

A properly calibrated white should look white.

7. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Not at all what this feature is about.

The whole purpose of Night Shift is to get rid of blue light in the evening hours so that your brain can get into "wind down mode" when it's supposed to and not keep you awake. It is NOT a screen calibration tool.

9. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Graphic designer, photographer, UI/UX app designer here. White is white. A good calibration will get it as close to pure if possible. If anything slightly cool is better. Back in college in color photography we'd calibrate everything to 6500k daylight lamps and use color filters by hand to adjust point values for tweaking our enlargers. In digital we'd use whatever version of Spyder was out at the time to get it as close to pure white as possible because we're matching to Epson printers which print on nearly pure white RR paper, and that was also calibrated using a device that scans the printout. Then if you wanted to go for your certain "look" in Lightroom, you could balance warm or cool easily and get accurate results when printing.

As for the purpose of this new feature, it's only supposed to warm the color balance for nighttime. It's unfortunate for those who have held out hope for a full color balance control mechanism. It would be great if we could install system-wide color profiles for our iOS devices. If I'm remembering correctly, at present, you can only change ICC profiles inside an individual app. Apple has come a long way over the years in being more consistent with the manufacturing and color balancing of their devices. But they're still not perfect, defects happen, color shifts over time, etc. To take the iPad Pro seriously as a design tool, it will need the capability for system-wide color calibration (along with many other things).

10. noobinator macrumors 601

Well that's because it is doing what it is supposed to do.

11. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I'm pretty sure that's not what he was trying to convey. He was pointing out to the previous person who claimed that properly calibrated whites are yellowish, which is not correct.
    Properly calibrated whites are just that, white, not blueish nor yellowish but white.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Cooler and warmer is just a means of them explaining how much yellow to produce. The point is to remove as much blue from the screen as is possible.

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

OP, it sounds like you have discovered the disclosed purpose.

14. Elisha, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

6500k is too cool. 5000k is closer to pure white. But sensory contrast is such that if you you're always going to bias one light source against another, so if you're been in 4300K lighting and move to 6500K, it'll look cool, if you've been in 8000K lighting and move to 6500K, it'll look warm, etc.

15. dyn macrumors 68030

Neither are correct and both are correct. It depends on how you look at it. White should indeed be white, not yellowish or blueish. The problem is that most whites are heavily mixed with blue. That's why the average white t-shirts lights up under black lights. When you change the colour temperature to something that correctly resembles white most people will perceive this as being yellowish. So from a user point of view the previous post is actually correct.

16. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Thanks to Night Shift, I now have an iPeed. :p

(Seriously, it works great. While my sleep was never troubled by blue light - I sleep the sleep of the just - I can't say that it never bothered my bed companion. Night Shift is less glaring.