"Nightshot mode" ruins wedding video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bonafide, Apr 26, 2008.

1. bonafide macrumors regular

Hey guys,

My wife and I got married almost three years ago and now I'm just finally sitting down to slap the video on to a DVD through iMovie and iDVD. The problem is when the video was recorded my "friend" somehow activated "Nightshot Plus" or "Infrared" mode and recorded practically the whole thing with it on. We've know this for the past 3 years but I've been avoiding doing it because I knew it was going to be a problem.

So when you review my wedding video the blacks are light blues/greens and the whites are way overexposed. Any part of the video seen outside is completely blown out. I've played with the video color settings in iMovie but it doesn't look like I'll be able to do anything to remove the effects of this "Nightshot." Aside from making the whole video in black & white.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this? I would really love to show my wife the video cleaned up, if possible.

2. Help! macrumors regular

I think black and white may be your best bet, the only color left in there is probably green.

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

Well there might be some blue in there as well, but unless there is a way to alter the colours or whatever (probably not possible in iMovie, maybe in Final Cut) I think there's not much you can do other than black and white.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

There's probably not much you can do, especially in iMovie. The only possible (though not likely) fix might be to apply a Colorama filter in After Effects, where you can remap colors, although there's not nearly enough information in the NightShot colors to restore all that (especially in compressed DV). Additionally, the overexposed parts are basically unrecoverable.

5. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

Once something goes white, there's no getting it back. There is no way to salvage blown highlights.

Slap it into black and white. Heck, even add a vignette. Stylize it. You'll just have to forget about the color.

6. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

You can alter the colors using the False Color effect in iMovie. You just specify a darkest color (you would want to use a dark grey or black) and a lightest color (white) and it would work for you. If they are blown out, try adjusting the brightness and contrast.

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Wait another 3 years to deal with it. If you get divorced by then it won't matter.

8. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

I did this with my cousins wedding video. I knew they wouldnt last so I just kept telling them I would get it done ASAP, and then divorce city. :D

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I can relate. I shot a friend's wedding with my HV20 and the internal mike was completely overwhelmed by the band. The distorted audio made a lot of the tape unusable. NOW, I know about the level adjustment. Could be a good reason to hire a pro.

10. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Ah, so there IS a difference between uncle Bob holding his camcorder at the wedding and hiring a professional videographer... Who would have thought that? ;)

- Martin

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

1) Add a scary soundtrack and wolf howling and other special effects.

2) Add some Terminator special effects with the scanning and identification graphics and sound effects just like the T2 movie. When you are asked if you want to marry this woman just have the text "Appropriate Response: " with the various choices like "I Do", "Affirmative", etc...

3) Add some military radio sounds and give it that military spy effect.

4) Convert it to old Sepia effect with a 1920's music track. Perhaps speed it up to give it that comedy old film look.