Nightstand mode less sensitive

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacGiver, Sep 23, 2018.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Hi all,
    I have noticed with the AW4 or maybe it is Watch OS5 that my watch is way less sensitive in nightstand mode. Meaning that whenever I touch my nightstand it does not immediately light up. I really need to tap harder on my nightstand. With my AW3 on WOS4 a simple light touch on my nightstand would light up my watch. Bummer...

Anyone else notice that?

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Yes! I noticed this last night. My bed is very close to my bedside cabinet, meaning that whenever I move/turn over to see the time, my Series 0 would light up.

I noticed this didn’t happen with my Series 4 last night. It’s not a major bummer for me because I can just tap the watch/table. But yes it’s a difference. Maybe it’s calibrated differently to be not as sensitive because of the new fall detection feature?

3. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Ok thanks for confirming. Not that bad but disturbing and surprised at first.
    X

4. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Sounds like 5.0.1 fixed this. It is now back to its original sensitivity and once out on its charger it detected way faster than when WOS5 was released.

5. danmart, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018

danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

Interesting. I had noticed this, too. Hopefully it will be improved when I upgrade to the new point-release.

ETA: much more sensitive:)

6. Scott G. macrumors regular

Mine is working well. The slightest tap or bump and the screen lights up.

7. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

The 5.0.1 has fixed this for me, too! Seems like this update has fixed other things that aren’t mentioned in the release notes.

Maybe they saw it as a minor tweak, and not actually a bug...

8. ed. macrumors member

I just updated to the latest official release of watchOS on my series 4, my nightstand mode keeps on being pretty much un-wakeable. The only way is to press the side button. I used to be able to get it to light up with a tap on my bed (the charger is on the headboard), now I can’t get it to work. I’m not sure when it started but it was one of the latest updates. Does anyone else keep on having this issue?

9. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Less sensitive than before but still it works. On what charger your watch is on? Apple official device or third party?

10. ed. macrumors member

original one that was in the box. in my case it seems no amount of shaking wakes it up. I just made a test and discovered this: I've worn my watch all day, so i'm not sure if this behaviour is triggered with time, but maybe you can try and reproduce it.
    - just took my watch off and hooked it to the charger.
    - wait for nightstand to kick in
    - wait for it to light off
    - the nudge feature works as it used do.
    - now disconnect the charger, and then connect it again without wearing the watch
    - the nudge stops working

I don't know what triggers it to start working again, if it's just time passing or something else. I've tried putting it back on and unlocking it before putting it back on the charger, but the nudge still didn't work.