Nightstand speaker dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BulkHedd, Oct 10, 2012.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

For many years now I have been using a Sony alarm clock/speaker dock on my nightstand. It has AM/FM radio as well. It served multiple functions: charging my iPhone, waking me up in the morning, allowing me to go to sleep listening to music on my iPhone while also putting the iPhone to sleep after a set number of minutes.
    Now, with my iPhone 5 it doesn't work as well. I can use an aux in cable for music but I still need my Lightning cable there for charging.
    I'm waiting for my Lightning to 30-pin adapter to ship but from what I've read it won't really work well with a case. Even if it does I'm afraid the iPhone 5 will be way too tall on it.

Anyway, are any Lightning speaker docks expected to be coming out? I know that I read that Lightning accessories were delayed but I don't know what will ultimately be available.
    Apple is pushing Airplay but that will require I have a speaker, with power cord AND my Lightning cable to charge the iPhone. Too many wires for a wireless solution!

2. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

I have the same sony set up. they need to start getting on these things. christmas is right around the corner.

3. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

Try checking out the Braeburn iPhone 5 dock. It has amplifies the speaker from your iPhone, and works with or without a case. Also, it uses the existing lightning cable that you already have. For the clock part, I'm pretty sure that there are multiple clock apps out there that will allow you to play music until a certain time. I haven't gotten mine yet (I ordered yesterday, and will hopefully have it next week), but so far almost all of the reviews are great.
    http://www.braeburnacoustics.com/Braeburn_for_iPhone_5_s/1825.htm

4. iPhanatic macrumors member

Or you may wait on the Braeburn as they stated they will be updating their iPhone 5 dock to the Braeburn Pro, taller and with back support

5. jocamero macrumors regular

Where did they state this? I just ordered one... :(

6. gonca macrumors regular

As I understood from other forum members, they stated that by email.
    I would like to buy one though they ask 20 usd to send it Europe :-/

7. jmxp69, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Ever think about something like this?

Airport Express $99
    Cyber Acoustics CA 3602 2.1 $45
    iPad Stand @ Amazon $9.99 http://amzn.to/RB3O66
    Alarm HD $0.99

My last nice Philips Alarm clock was $125

Now I have a future proof setup with a highly functional alarm clock:
    News, weather, facebook updates, color control, virtually unlimited alarms for weekdays/weekends, custom snooze times, fade-in music. Plus, I get much better wifi signal in bedroom and I can Airplay music from any iDevice.

You can use this with any iPhone or iPad and you won't have to replace due to a change in dock connectors.

The Cyber Acoustics is probably better sound quality than anything you'll find in a reasonably priced alarm clock and you can change out the speakers for anything you want: Self-powered or Amplified bookshelf/floor speakers.

Small premium for quite a bit of extra functionality.

Attached Files:

8. jmxp69, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Here it is on the nightstand. I initially set it up with the ipad in a case, but I switched yesterday to the $9 stand from Amazon (link in previous post).

I would have put these pics in the same post, but for some reason uploading multiple pics via iPad leaves only one attachment??

The airport express is hidden on the left side of the nightstand caddy.

Attached Files:

9. radiologyman macrumors 6502

Thx, did it with used AE from eBay, now I have extended wifi signal and great airplay speakers in the bedroom. Having ip5 in a speaker dock has its minuses so I just keep it next to me connected to lighning csble

10. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

\o/

You could try something like this if you're using iphone instead of ipad: http://amzn.to/Tpm16p

11. blaake macrumors regular

jmxp69 - how do you get the page break and text at the bottom of your posts?

12. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Go into the User control panel (top left) and look for Edit signature (left sidebar). Then make sure to turn it on. :)

13. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

I emailed them asking about the Pro, and they stated that they are waiting for the MFI approval, so it might take awhile. They also said that for people who have bought a regular dock from them, the Pro will be about 50% off.

Also, my dock came in the mail yesterday, and it really is nice.

14. Popsie macrumors member

That is great news.

15. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I had been thinking about something like this but hadn't really come up with a good solution for speakers. I didn't like the idea of plugging them in every night. I didn't think about the Airport Express.
    Thanks for your ideas! I ordered those speakers and the AE today. I even got the stand. I don't trust my case cover/stand. Too easy to knock over.

16. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Couple of questions:

So I got everything in yesterday and hooked it up. The speakers really sound good. I only paid $35.00 on Amazon!
    When I have the speaker switch turned on, though, I hear a noticeable hum coming from the sub woofer. Is that normal? It doesn't change when I turn the volume wheel up or down. Just wondering if mine are defective. I thought maybe it was interference from the AE power cord but I can't make it go away.

Also, curious how you deal with the bright blue LED on the volume knob at night.

17. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I don't get any humming on my sub. When I'm not streaming music, it's dead silent--and I am OCD when it comes to silence. Probably should check to make sure you have good connections.

That blue led on the volume control sucks doesn't it? It's the only flaw in the whole setup as far as I'm concerned. I set the volume (on the loud side), fixed the wheel to the base with some tape and just dropped the knob down behind my nightstand. I use my iDevice volume control to adjust as needed. Not perfect, but it works.

18. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Hmmm...I wonder if mine has something wrong with it.
    Sometimes I hear a rhythmic popping noise too. I checked all the connections and they are good. I thought it might be interference from the AirPort Express but the hum is still there even with it unplugged.
    I do have everything plugged into a power strip. I wonder if that could be the cause.

19. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Well, that's another benefit of this setup. If something goes wrong with one module, you're not out the full price. Sounds to me like something is wrong with your unit. If makes noise unplugged, that's a problem. Mine is silent unless I'm streaming. There are other powered options if you don't want to give the CAs another shot.

20. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Just an update:

I contacted Cyber Acoustics and they are sending me a new speaker set.
    UPS picked up the bad one today. They said they had had similar complaints so it is a known issue.
    I hope the new one works better because they really did sound good other than the hum. And for that price I doubt I'd find anything else even close.

21. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Bummer the first set had issues. I agree on the price/performance point. Looking forward to hearing how it works out.

22. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Well I got the new speakers today and they hum exactly like the first set.
    They asked me to take them somewhere else and see what happens. I will take them to work tomorrow and see.
    I don't understand it. I have a large subwoofer in my living room for my home theater setup and it's completely silent when no sound is being played.
    I also have a set of Bose computer speakers in my office and they are dead silent too but they don't have a separate subwoofer.

23. S.L. macrumors regular

S.L.

JBL has two new speaker docks for the 5. One at $99, the other $199...

24. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Well I already bought the AirPort Express and the CA speakers.

25. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Unfortunate you're having these issues. There are plenty of other options out there if the CAs aren't working for you. Check these out: http://amzn.to/XzsEcU

They get generally good reviews on Amazon.