Nik and High Sierra

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheDrift-, Oct 20, 2017.

1. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

...Any one else having issues? Silver efex and Color efex crash on re-import to PS for me

2. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

Am just updating Photoshop now, will let you know when I try it out afterwards.

3. OzBok macrumors regular

I’m reluctant to upgrade anything with NIK not getting any attention from developers anymore.

Curious to hear what happens with all the updates coming around atm

4. Mal Blackadder macrumors member

Mal Blackadder

I havent tried this myself yet, but I saw this thread on reddit a few days ago . https://productforums.google.com/fo...Eg25CAM4IE;context-place=forum/nik-collection it seems some people have had success by running CEP4 not through the Photoshop menu, but through the "selective tools" panel of SEP4.

5. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Ok I found a fix that works for me, hopefully I might save some one else some time....firstly I tried uninstalling and reinstalling...honestly don't know if that will make a difference....

The fix i found.....You have to open each Nik product and go into settings > after clicking ok > and change to apply the filtered effect to the current layer...

= no more problems :)

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 07.49.05.png

6. Greg3523 macrumors newbie

That works if you are willing to make destructive edits. Unfortunately, the Nik plugins still crash most of the time under OSX High Sierra when working on a Smart Object.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Nik is now owned by DXO so there should be development soon.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

That is why I use Macphun/Skylum Creative Kit apps. They work just fine on High Sierra.

9. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

That's great news! I guess we will probably have to go back to paying for Silver Efex and Color Efex, but I can live with that. I paid for them before Google bought Nik.

On the other hand these products compete with DxO's own software... especially Filmpack. Of course there is a lot more to the Nik collection than film simulation, but it makes me wonder if they will be merging Nik with their own products... or just re-branding them. Ah... here we go:
    https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/dxo-buys-nik-collection-google-will-resume-development/

Sean

10. Dogface411 macrumors newbie

Dogface411

I have been trying to deal with this for a few months now and hopefully DXO will fix it. I ended up trading in my laptop MacBook Air for an older MacBook pro with OS Sierra and I'm fine now but my iMac is what I preferred to use.. Apple doesn't seem to give a Damn about our problem. Not only that but Apple seems to be pushing us into High Sierra really hard. I get daily prompts to upgrade

Mark

11. Dogface411 macrumors newbie

Dogface411

--- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2018 ---
    I had to back date my iMac system from High Sierra back to Sierra to get NIK to work again with out crashing PS Found a a local tech who could do it but I had to erase all Time Machine back ups and start them over. What an ordeal but worth it. I hope DXO comes out with a better version as promised

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Only the Upoint technology that Nik introduced years ago. DxO is supposed to introduce new versions of the Nik Collection apps mid year and hopefully also integrate them with a new version of PhotoLab.