Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
...Any one else having issues? Silver efex and Color efex crash on re-import to PS for me

OzBok

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I’m reluctant to upgrade anything with NIK not getting any attention from developers anymore.

Curious to hear what happens with all the updates coming around atm

Mal Blackadder

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2017
United Kingdom

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Ok I found a fix that works for me, hopefully I might save some one else some time....firstly I tried uninstalling and reinstalling...honestly don't know if that will make a difference....

The fix i found.....You have to open each Nik product and go into settings > after clicking ok > and change to apply the filtered effect to the current layer...

= no more problems :)

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 07.49.05.png

Reactions: OzBok and Hughmac

Greg3523

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
That works if you are willing to make destructive edits. Unfortunately, the Nik plugins still crash most of the time under OSX High Sierra when working on a Smart Object.

Ok I found a fix that works for me, hopefully I might save some one else some time....firstly I tried uninstalling and reinstalling...honestly don't know if that will make a difference....

The fix i found.....You have to open each Nik product and go into settings > after clicking ok > and change to apply the filtered effect to the current layer...

= no more problems :)

View attachment 726483

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Nik is now owned by DXO so there should be development soon.

That's great news! I guess we will probably have to go back to paying for Silver Efex and Color Efex, but I can live with that. I paid for them before Google bought Nik.

On the other hand these products compete with DxO's own software... especially Filmpack. Of course there is a lot more to the Nik collection than film simulation, but it makes me wonder if they will be merging Nik with their own products... or just re-branding them. Ah... here we go:
https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/dxo-buys-nik-collection-google-will-resume-development/

Sean

Dogface411

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2018
Grass Valley Ca
I have been trying to deal with this for a few months now and hopefully DXO will fix it. I ended up trading in my laptop MacBook Air for an older MacBook pro with OS Sierra and I'm fine now but my iMac is what I preferred to use.. Apple doesn't seem to give a Damn about our problem. Not only that but Apple seems to be pushing us into High Sierra really hard. I get daily prompts to upgrade

Mark

Dogface411

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2018
Grass Valley Ca
I havent tried this myself yet, but I saw this thread on reddit a few days ago . https://productforums.google.com/fo...Eg25CAM4IE;context-place=forum/nik-collection it seems some people have had success by running CEP4 not through the Photoshop menu, but through the "selective tools" panel of SEP4.
[doublepost=1520501065][/doublepost]I had to back date my iMac system from High Sierra back to Sierra to get NIK to work again with out crashing PS Found a a local tech who could do it but I had to erase all Time Machine back ups and start them over. What an ordeal but worth it. I hope DXO comes out with a better version as promised

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.