NIk HDR or Photomatix

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rappar, Oct 2, 2011.

1. rappar macrumors member

I am trying to decide which HDR package to buy. I've tried to read as many reviews on the two as I can but could use some input. What would you purchase as an HDR package?
    And... is there some other package I have not discovered that I should consider?
    Thanks,
    Ron

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

I believe Photoshop CS5 has HDR merge built in that does a decent job. I think there are trials for Nik and photomatix.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'd love to hear an answer to this one too. I've been using Photomatix for a few years now, and it does a really nice job. The number of things you can adjust is a bit overwhelming, but I've found a handful of presets that I like, so I usually just cycle through them until I find one I like.

Photoshop is vastly inferior in the HDR world, imo. I wouldn't even consider them.

I'm very intrigued by the Nik stuff. Their B&W package (silver fx, or something like that) is amazing. If they're that good with that, I wonder if their HDR app is as good as (or even better than) Photomatix?

4. Oberhammer macrumors regular

I like Nik better.

They are both good software for HDR.

Photoshop CS5.5 is not up to their level yet; however, it is not too bad.

I think each of the software has a free trial version so one can find out what one likes!

I have tried all 3. I like Nik the best because it gives me great results easily and has a ton of nice presets.

I also watched a tutorial about HDR on Lynda.com and in that tutorial the author recommended Nik. The tutorial showcased each of the HDR software and showed their pros and cons.

Hope that helps.

(Shooting and Processing High Dynamic Range Photographs (HDR) @ lynda.com)

5. TheDrift-, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I use photomatix and have no real probs, I watched a few webinars on Retouchpro.com and they have some on HDR,

I've watched a couple from two different photographers and they have both used photomatix and got some fantsitc results..

...I think you can rent the shows for a few ££££

As a side note and unrelated HDR.............they got shows from some pretty big names eg Amy dresser & gry garness, its fantstic to watch these guys work

6. Keleko macrumors 68000

I like Photomatix, too. If you want some tips on using Photomatix, go to http://www.stuckincustoms.com and look around there for Trey's photomatix review. He talks about the sliders he uses and finds the most useful, and that may help you figure out how to use it.

7. guy curlewis macrumors member

I have:

Photomatix pro as a stand alone program
    Nik HDR Efex as an Aperture plugin
    Photoshop CS5

Photoshop is definitely in third place - find it doesn't always give very natural effects

Nik - can give great results and has great presets

Photomatix pro gives the most natural look - but can be a bit overwhelming