Nike+ and Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by jlborger, Jan 6, 2009.

1. jlborger macrumors newbie

Now that Apple is shipping their Earphones and In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic, I'm wondering if anybody has fiddled around with these and the Nike+ application / system. It would seem that they would be a great pair in that the user / runner wouldn't have to unlock their iPod Touch to change to the next song, or shift their focus to their iPod when ending or pausing their workout, etc.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anybody has tried these two pieces together and how they worked.

2. meyer1131 macrumors regular

I have this same setup but unfortunately for
    Me I have yet to have the remote be found in the Nike+ app.I am curious if anyone got this to work.

3. jlborger thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, well today I just got a pair of the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic and figured I'd try it out for myself. After an unsuccessful attempt to record a 5.5 mile run in the snow, and then walking around a couple yards in my apartment I think I've got it figured out. This is what I've got so far:

• - The Earphones with Remote and Mic work well with the Nike+ System
    • - When starting a run / workout, you MUST start it by hitting "Begin Workout" on the iPod Touch when it is in an unlocked mode (or "Basic Workout" / "Distance Workout" / etc. for whatever kind of workout you're doing)
    • - It will not work correctly if you let it go to sleep and then hit "Begin Workout" in the screen lock screen
    • - It will not work correctly if you start the workout by clicking "Play" on the remote
    • - Once you've started the workout correctly you can use the remote to Pause / Resume the workout, skip forward or backward in the playlist, or adjust the volume
    Other than that, I don't know much else to say. I'm excited to pair these two together for a good long run, and it's really nice to be able to move through my playlists while running without shifting focus from the road to my iPod Touch.

4. meyer1131 macrumors regular

i tried it again and it did in fact work! Is there anything on the headphones itself to get the lady to tell me how far I have gone?

5. jlborger thread starter macrumors newbie

No, you still have to reach over and press the 'Home' button on the iPod. But at least that's easy enough compared to unlocking and switching songs, etc.

6. elleff macrumors newbie

Not sure if this works on the iPod Touch or iPhone 3GS but with the iPod Nano you can hold the play/pause button for a second instead of clicking and it will give you a voice update on time, distance and pace