Nike + App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by SIUGRAD99, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

Has anyone found anything written on when we might see this ?

2. paulcdb macrumors regular

believe its only with the new iphone 3gs.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Never. The iPhone 2G/3G hardware doesn't support Nike+

4. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

So I was wondering about this earlier... How does the Nike+ App get installed onto the iPhone because I don't imagine it's going to be pre-installed like Apple's apps?

5. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

It probably is preinstalled.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It's preinstalled on the 2G Touch, same thing with 3G S I assume.

7. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I just looked it up. There's a setting to enable or disable it and then it will make the icon appear on the home screen. Wish that was available for all of Apple's apps.

8. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Instead of Nike+ I use RunKeeper (in AppStore). It uses the iPhones GPS to track your activity (speed time location elevation) which you can then store to review at later date ( as well as compare and share via a very nifty web site) best bit is there's a free version which does everything the Pro version does except audio prompts. Can't recommend it enough.

9. reggiegu macrumors newbie

Reviews indicate that Nike+ sensors die within a few weeks.

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

11. mario787 macrumors newbie

I agree with LostLogik. Runkeeper is a much superior product than Nike plus and its awesome to see how accurately it traces your route on google maps, something that the Nike plus does't do. It really is one of the best apps out there.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

There are several threads about this in the accessories subforum - search for nike+ or cyclometer to find them

13. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I agree with the above. It definitely is the best running tracker in the App Store. It was even one of the top 5 tracking solutions on Lifehacker, and that wasn't just for iPhone apps. This was the only iPhone app in it; the rest were thinks like a Garmin GPS and stuff.

14. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

are you serious? The Nike + app is FAR more accurate. At least, it is on the nano. Say you are running on the treadmill or indoors somewhere, gps doesn't work well, but the Nike+ will work perfectly. And you can upload to keep better track of your runs

15. iPhone guru macrumors member

I use B.iCycle for GPS tracking of my bike rides. It's a cyclometer app with calorie and altitude calculation that shows you moving in a map with bike trails. I can even watch my rides in Google Earth. Does Runkeeper support these features as well? I'm looking for a running app that tracks my calories in the same way that I'm used to while biking.

16. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Nike+ is only accurate if you run at a constant pace. If your pace varies the distance from Nike+ will get misrepresented. Outdoors, GPS is the most accurate way to track your runs. Indoors, on a treadmill, use the readout, on a track, count laps.

17. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

RunKeeper uses the iPhone's GPS capabilities to track your fitness activities, including distance, time, speed, pace, calories burned, elevation, and path traveled on a map (you can see it on Google Maps)

It really is the best thing since sliced bread and the support is 1st class. Oh, and did I mention it's free :)

18. mario787 macrumors newbie

Agreed, runkeeper doesn't track you if you are indoors cause it uses GPS. However, it does automatically upload your progress (calories, pace, distance, miles per hour, etc...) and keeps track of it online just like the nike +. In fact, it goes a step further and shows you on google maps your route and then specifically tells you the speed through specific points in your route.

Moreover, if you are running indoors you would probably be using a treadmill and wouldn't really have a need to use runkeeper or nike + because the treadmill will tell you all the information you need.

19. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Runnkeeper isn't as accurate for hiking/walking. I found it widely varied on a 3-mile walk (measured off via car GPS). iTreadmill is decent for indoor use. Going to try Nike+ for first time in about 90 minutes once sun starts to set and cool down.

20. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Do you have a Nike+ transponder? You need the chip for your shoe to make Nike+ work, not just the app.

21. dougster macrumors newbie

I'm using B.iCycle as well. For cyclists this is really the best choice in the appstore and absolutely worth the money. With the amazing map where you can see yourself riding on biketrails and the very smart cyclometer-like autoscan-mode it feels like you have a garmin edge mounted on your handlebar.

No other app meets the demands of us cyclists as perfect as B.iCycle.
    I'm not sure if Nike+ will... In my opinion they are concentrating on running, aren't they?

22. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Well, b.icycle costs way more than Runkeeper and seems to have less of an AppStore rating as well, yet provides similar info. Can't see the benefit in opting for it. I've used RunKeeper for mtb'ing and can't fault it. True, it doesn't have a moving map when riding, but it's not the sort of thing I'd want anyway. For tracking what I'm doing, it's faultless & the later review facility either on the iphone or on your personal dashboard, plus sharing make this one great app.

23. iPhone guru macrumors member

Well I use both. Runkeeper is very cool for running. But B.iCycle is seems tailormade for biking. It gives yo kind of a Garmin EDGE experience. Very cool! Give it a try...

24. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Thanks but at nearly 6 quid I think I'll pass. RunKeeper has a cycling setting and does all i need.

25. iPhone guru macrumors member

I use B.iCycle as a replacement for my old school bike computer and I'm very happy with it. I have a bike mount on the handle bar and so I'm able to watch the screen while biking. It shows me a map with my position and all the bike trails in my area. For the first time I do not get lost in the woods anymore. Plus it has calorie calculation that seems to be very precise (I just can compare it to the Polar unit of a bike friend) and it shows the climbed altitude.