Nike Apple Watch display issue

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by YsoSerious, Apr 12, 2018.

1. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I shower with my watch after work just to clean it. I dry it off and charge it for the next day. One morning I get my watch and the display has this white noise screen kinda like you get on tv’s when there’s no signal. I contact Apple via chat support and they say it because of the steam from your shower has caused internal damage? It’s water resistant up to 10 meters?!?! How is this possible.
    Side note I don’t always shower with it on, maybe once a week if that.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Why do you shower with it?

Also, hot water produces a vapor which can penetrate through smaller openings.

the operating temperature for the watch is around 95f ambient and storage around 115f.

I am willing to wager your shower is warmer than that.

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

What generation is the watch? Series 3 is supposed to have even higher water rating, I'm surprised at Apple's stance.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I think if the OP mentioned shower the troubleshooting process flow may have changed

5. YsoSerious thread starter macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Nike Sport series 2

6. YsoSerious thread starter macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar this Friday. Should I even mention the shower part or just say it became this way? It’s a series 2 Nike sport so out-of-warranty.

7. klymr macrumors 65816

First of all, both the Series 2 and Series 3 Apple Watches have the same water resistance—50 meters. Secondly, Apple states that it is safe to shower with, but the water resistance may diminish over time. Check out this article for more info.

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Water resistance in not waterproofing. That said, my girlfriend often swims with her Watch on with no problems.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Granted that the Apple Watch is 50 m water resistant and Apple says you can indeed shower with your Apple Watch, it doesn’t mean steam can’t penetrate past the water seals.

This Article explains directly from Apple what you can and cannot do, and proper cleaning procedures.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

10. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

NO.

Don't volunteer reasons for them to deny you warranty coverage. If they open it up and find signs of water damage (there's markers inside that will discolor if exposed to moisture) then your jig is up, but until then your story should always be, if ever asked about it, that the watch worked just fine, used as described in the manual, until it didn't anymore.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Volunteer? Strange. I usually find honesty seems to allow Apple to work with the user more versus if they sense any type of deception or information that was not disclosed when they ask questions initially.

12. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Some of us are too honest though.