Nike GPS + - Tracking despite Location Services off?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Mingers, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mingers macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've a brand new 4S, iOS5.01. I installed Nike + GPS and went out for a run.

It tracked my distance etc, but when I went to look at the route, it said weak GPS signal prevented route data.

But when I checked the Settings of the iPhone, Location Services was not even switched on. Is it possible for the app to access basic GPS settings that are not covered by the Location Services toggle?

I don't have any old school Nike Plus gear, and I am not confusing the app with the built in one.

Thanks for any insight!

Mingers

2. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

If you have GPS on, it will show you tour route. With GPS off it will estimate your distance. It will also offer to calibrate your run if you know the exact distance.

3. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I use my Nike + Gps on my iPhone 4 all the time. I also receive the warning of 'weak gps signal', but it does capture my route map and distance.
    I do run my phone with location services on, so I do not know if having that switched off will prevent the Nike app from working. I do see that with location services on, you can chose which apps also have location services on, but if it is shut off for your phone, none of the apps are even displayed on the location services page in settings. i would have to conclude that you need the phones basic location services switched on for it to work with the Nike + app.

4. Mingers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but what data does the iPhone use to estimate my distance when Location Services are off? Data is off too.

5. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Wirelessly posted

It uses the accelerometer.