Nike + GPS Watch

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Jun 9, 2014.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Does anyone use a Nike+ GPS Watch? Does it work with an iPhone? Can I sync data between the 2? I see PC Connectivity, not iOS listed in the specs. I'm looking for something to track my hikes, I use Runkeeper, but want something that the battery will last longer. I also like the the other features, but would like to sync maps/data directly to my iPhone. Any other/better options?

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I own it and no, you can't sync to your iPhone.

Another minor annoyance is that there is no way to delete a run from the watch (maybe you triggered it by mistake) without a factory reset.

If you can live with its shortcomings, its a decent watch. I use it on all my 5 and 10K runs.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks for the info. I'm training for a 5k, that's my other use for it. But I want something that syncs to my phone. I'll have to keep looking, but keep the Nike on the list for now.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Something to consider: the Nike+ pod goes in your sneaker and communicates with your iPhone using the iPhone app. The sensor is $19.99 and will help you with accuracy when used with the iPhone's GPS.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I've considered that. My issues are when running I don't want the phone with me, even in an armband I hate it. When hiking I need something that can go 2-3 days without a charge. I do have an external battery, but would rather find a better solution.

6. fameadvance macrumors newbie

Nike GPS Watch 2

Hi there,

I'm a runner and i use my Nike GPS Watch all the time. It is true that you cant sync directly to an iPhone you need to use the usb to connect to your mac.

However (assuming you have a mac) once you have done that you can still look at your data on the iphone app. The app is pretty good and it allows you to share your progress and badges on facebook/twitter. They have also recently integrated with Instagram and there is now a whole community of #nikeplususer sharing their achievements.

There was some talk last year about a Nike GPS watch2, the current version hasnt been updated since 2011, so it definitely due a features upgrade. Given the fact that they say we are in a 'post PC era' i think an auto sync feature would be top of the list.

However im not so sure it hasnt been canceled, like the Nike plus sports band Tom Tom were Nikes partners for the GPS watch and last year they went it alone and brought out their own GPS watch without Nike. All this leaves the door wide open for an iwatch with Nike plus integration. After all Tim Cook does sit on the board at Nike and my all reports hes an avid runner.