Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I just played around with the nike+ app for the first time, and I discovered it has options to lock the screen in portrait, left landscape, and right landscape....

Why don't they effing do this for other apps like messaging, etc.?!?!?!?

I hate that I have to wait for messages to rotate when I open the app. I wish this option were available so my freaking texts would open in the orientation i prefer....not to mention it would calm the complaints of people who like to use the phone while laying down...

/rant

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
I just played around with the nike+ app for the first time, and I discovered it has options to lock the screen in portrait, left landscape, and right landscape....

I hate that I have to wait for messages to rotate when I open the app. I wish this option were available so my freaking texts would open in the orientation i prefer....not to mention it would calm the complaints of people who like to use the phone while laying down...

/rant

Agreed. However, you may want to change the thread title to "lock orientation" instead of "lock screen" because they're different things.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Agreed. However, you may want to change the thread title to "lock orientation" instead of "lock screen" because they're different things.

only made it "lock screen" because thats what they call it in the nike+ app

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
only made it "lock screen" because thats what they call it in the nike+ app

Oh, well I don't use Nike+. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but "orientation" is more accurate, at least from what I've heard on these forums. Well, you changed it anyway! :D

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I guess because the point of the app involves moving they felt it was important enough to offer the option.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI

/rant

The Kindle app has the same feature, I think I may have see a few others but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
One of my biggest pet peeves is apps (besides games) that allow 360 degree rotation. News Feeds does this. If I want to read it in bed at night, on my side, the screen won't stay in landscape...it just keeps rotating back to portrait.

brett429

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
I completely agree that ALL apps need to have some kind of rotation lock; especially Messages, Safari, and Email. It's so annoying to be trying to read something in bed, only to have it flip on you. :( Does anyone know of a jailbreak app that would make this possible? Hopefully Apple will implement it eventually.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
The Mobilty Ware paid Solitare app does this too. I use it for potrait because I like solitare in portrait. When you open the appm whatever orientation it is in it recognizes and locks it in 3 seconds, with a message saying as such. No more switching until you close the app. :) Screens included.

All apps should have this choice.

Attachments

• iPhone Back-Up 086.png
    iPhone Back-Up 086.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 62
  • iPhone Back-Up 087.png
    iPhone Back-Up 087.png
    159 KB · Views: 56
  • iPhone Back-Up.png
    iPhone Back-Up.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 60

arykmax

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I like the way the Kindle app does it with the small lock icon in the corner to lock the orientation in place. More devs should include this simple option or a variation of it.

sseelman

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Stanza has it also. Just open it the way you want to use it and locks the main reading screen accordingly.

I agree, as many posters have said, that the overall iPhone needs to have a universal lock orientation feature. It really is obnoxious to have Safari, mail, Messages, etc.... flipping around when using in bed. I know there are tricks to make it stay to a degree, but it needs to be an option to make it stay the wayyou want it.

demiurgical

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
NYC
lol it seems quite a few of us seem to browse the web and read/send emails from bed.

It's so annoying when it rotates on you when you're in the email app and sometimes it just gets stuck in landscape orientation and I have to leave the app and go back in to get it back into portrait orientation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.