Nike+ has a lock orientation option. Why don't other apps?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by actorkid, Jul 9, 2009.

1. actorkid macrumors 6502

I just played around with the nike+ app for the first time, and I discovered it has options to lock the screen in portrait, left landscape, and right landscape....

Why don't they effing do this for other apps like messaging, etc.?!?!?!?

I hate that I have to wait for messages to rotate when I open the app. I wish this option were available so my freaking texts would open in the orientation i prefer....not to mention it would calm the complaints of people who like to use the phone while laying down...

/rant

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Agreed. However, you may want to change the thread title to "lock orientation" instead of "lock screen" because they're different things.

3. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

only made it "lock screen" because thats what they call it in the nike+ app

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Oh, well I don't use Nike+. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but "orientation" is more accurate, at least from what I've heard on these forums. Well, you changed it anyway! :D

5. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I guess because the point of the app involves moving they felt it was important enough to offer the option.

6. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

The Kindle app has the same feature, I think I may have see a few others but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

7. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Also VanillaSurf.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

One of my biggest pet peeves is apps (besides games) that allow 360 degree rotation. News Feeds does this. If I want to read it in bed at night, on my side, the screen won't stay in landscape...it just keeps rotating back to portrait.

9. brett429 macrumors member

I completely agree that ALL apps need to have some kind of rotation lock; especially Messages, Safari, and Email. It's so annoying to be trying to read something in bed, only to have it flip on you. :( Does anyone know of a jailbreak app that would make this possible? Hopefully Apple will implement it eventually.

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

The Mobilty Ware paid Solitare app does this too. I use it for potrait because I like solitare in portrait. When you open the appm whatever orientation it is in it recognizes and locks it in 3 seconds, with a message saying as such. No more switching until you close the app. :) Screens included.

All apps should have this choice.

Attached Files:

11. arykmax macrumors regular

I like the way the Kindle app does it with the small lock icon in the corner to lock the orientation in place. More devs should include this simple option or a variation of it.

12. sseelman macrumors regular

Stanza has it also. Just open it the way you want to use it and locks the main reading screen accordingly.

I agree, as many posters have said, that the overall iPhone needs to have a universal lock orientation feature. It really is obnoxious to have Safari, mail, Messages, etc.... flipping around when using in bed. I know there are tricks to make it stay to a degree, but it needs to be an option to make it stay the wayyou want it.

13. demiurgical macrumors member

lol it seems quite a few of us seem to browse the web and read/send emails from bed.

It's so annoying when it rotates on you when you're in the email app and sometimes it just gets stuck in landscape orientation and I have to leave the app and go back in to get it back into portrait orientation.