Nike+iPod Runners Run 1 Million Miles (and counting)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nike announced yesterday that runners using the Nike+iPod sport kit have logged over 1 million miles. As a reference, 1 million miles is long enough to circle the globe more than 40 times.

"Nikeplus.com is fast becoming the world's biggest online running community," said Trevor Edwards, Nike’s chief marketing officer. "Nike+ is a new running experience, a new way to train, a new way to connect with other runners, and a new way to bring music and sport together like never before. A million miles in 10 weeks is just the beginning. We're looking forward to the billionth mile."
Nike will be expanding the Nike+ service to more markets in Europe, including France, Spain, Italy, Germany and The Netherlands, as well as Japan and Australia in October. Currently, there are 12 Nike+ shoes available with more to come. Also noted are a few enhancements that will be coming soon to nikeplus.com, including a route finder so runners can easily map and share their favorite running routes.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I've not contributed anything to the million miles, but it is pretty impressive. I notice that nearly 3 million people are signed up on the nikeplus site, so maybe some people need to start pulling more weight. :)

I am considering some Nike+ shoes for my next trainers, and will see about tracking my progress as well (30 year old's resolution, ya know;) ).

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I just got my shoes yesterday, so I plan to contribute to those miles.

ipod..check
nike kit...check
nike shoes...check

motivation.........hee hee

:D

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
technicolor said:
I just got my shoes yesterday, so I plan to contribute to those miles.

ipod..check
nike kit...check
nike shoes...check

motivation.........hee hee

:D
Don't forget the armband!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I logged into their site earlier this week (well checked it out as I am not a member), and it looks like they reached 1 million miles last week if I read it right.

Either way, I am wondering if anyone involved ran further with their ipod telling them the distance, or if it was a normal ammount fo miles ran for most users?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Well, still no sign of the Nike+iPod Sports Kit in New Zealand yet.

Thanks for your support Apple. :mad:

meandyou

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
no need for nike shoes

or even that $9 gadget.
Just take out the insoles of your running shoes, put the sensor underneath (or in a little ziploc bag) and you're off.
Works great in my un-ipod-Nikes and other shoes.

the main idea is that the sensor shouldn't get wet (thus putting inside the shoe) and that it is somewhat similar in area to where your feet would be so it gives you a relatively accurate result. If you are a 'dirty runner' then even that little $9 gadget could cause problems if you found your foot in a mud puddle.

But you don't need no stinkin' Nike shoes.
I love mine! Makes me wanna run.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
meandyou said:
Just take out the insoles of your running shoes, put the sensor underneath (or in a little ziploc bag) and you're off.
Wouldn't that be the equivalent of putting a rock inside your running shoe?? That can't possible be usable no less comfortable.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
NewSc2 said:
If only they'd create an Asics+iPod =(
You don't need the shoes and you don't need to buy a separate pouch. The sensor fits nicely under the laces of most running shoes and can be secured with a small piece of Velcro. Complete instructions with photos here. This method has been used by thousands of people over the past couple of months and has worked very well for almost everyone. For those people who would rather use a pouch, the Nike Shoe Wallet is only $8 and works as well as the more expensive Marware pouch.

I've spent a lot of time testing and writing about the Nike+iPod stuff and I DO NOT recommend putting the sensor under your insole. That is a sure way to injure your foot.

If your new to running, here are some tips for getting started and running injury-free.

Have fun!

meandyou

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
good way to loose the sensor

putting velcro on the back and attaching it outside your shoe it is a good way to ruin the sensor especially if you run in the elements. It's also a good way to loose it once the velcro sticky peels off.

One person even commented they had lost theirs because they failed to secure it with the shoelace trick. DON'T do that if you know what's good for your sensor.

If you put the sensor in the right place underneath the insole (similar to duh, where Nike has positioned it in their shoes) you protect the sensor from the elements and insure you don't loose it. Also some Nike insoles have a smallish section cut out of the insole as well. You can also place it on the side inside your shoe. And it doesn't effect your stride or hurt your foot.

I can't feel it at all as a matter of fact.

Also I've done LOTS of testing with it this way and have had no problems. I do about 30+ miles a week, btw and use it in a variety of running shoes I have.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
This Nike+iPod kit really rocks. I showed the kit to some fellow runners and that wow'd them, but when I showed them the website I upload the data to ... boom, straight to nike and the apple store. Now we have challenges and it really makes me run more often.

Truely awesome

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I'd like to get it, but Korea is far from being an Apple stronghold. It may never be available here... I have a real hard time finding big enough shoes, too.

To track my runs in the local mountains, I use a Sunnto watch for time, elevation gain/loss and heart rates, and Google Earth to calculate the distances on my routes.