Nike + ipod vs. Runkeeper

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Metsfan7450, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I went from a 3G to iPhone 4 so the Nike + ipod app is new to me. I've been using the Runkeeper app for the last year and am very pleased with it. Is it really worth me purchasing a sensor to put in my shoe to run this Nike + ipod app or should I stick with the Runkeeper? Why can Runkeeper determine my mileage, speed, distance, etc without a sensor in my shoe?

2. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Runkeeper uses GPS to give you data.

Nike+ is basically a pedometer. Meaning it tracks your foot falls and based on averages determines your distance.

Both are inaccurate to a degree. If your GPS reception is good, I'd say Runkeeper may be more accurate. But if GPS reception is bad Nike+ may be more accurate.

If your stride varies then Runkeeper will be more accurate because Nike+ uses a stride length that you train it to. If you go larger or shorter then it produces inaccuracies. In most cases it would have to be consistently longer or shorter as minor changes in either direction will result in averages being close to your trained stride.

I use a Garmin Forerunner 405 (GPS based watch) and plan to get a footpod (pedometer) for it so I get the best of both worlds eventually.

Edit: there's also a heartrate monitor available for Nike+ now. So that's an extra bonus (if it works with the Nike+ iPhone app anyway, not sure if it does)