Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
can those that have tried nike+ on the new ipod touch please post here your experience? and maybe pics/screenshots as well?

a comparison to the nano would be great also

thanks in advance

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Give me a week.

I just got the shoes, the sensor node thing arrives tomorrow.
The iPT arrives Monday.

The shoes are the typically ridiculous design of all modern running shoes made by high end makers - fluted with oddly fairy-cake colors. Removing the foot pad lining on the left shoe reveals an indent of hard plastic with a foam nub to be removed allowing the sensor placement.

You could just buy a pouch to attach to any old sneaker, though.

I've been doing recumbent biking for months, so now I can switch over to running and monitor progress.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Give me a week.

I just got the shoes, the sensor node thing arrives tomorrow.
The iPT arrives Monday.

The shoes are the typically ridiculous design of all modern running shoes made by high end makers - fluted with oddly fairy-cake colors. Removing the foot pad lining on the left shoe reveals an indent of hard plastic with a foam nub to be removed allowing the sensor placement.

I've been doing recumbent biking for months, so now I can switch over to running and monitor progress.

thanks, i look forward to hearing your impressions.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

yeah, that's what I do. I have a few pairs of running shoes, so that makes it easy to switch the sensor around.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the nike+ experience on the touch!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I am looking forward to measuring and pacing active, outdoor workouts. Generally you can only do it well on gym equipment.

I'll try to post a whole run down of the Nike+ system in about a week, because they don't describe it very well on the Nike site, or the Apple site. It's an utter marketing shame that Nike/Apple don't describe the product's uses in more detail. I couldn't find anything decent on Nike's site, and Apple's description is minimal.

OSXmaniac

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I am planning on using the iPT with Nike+ as well but I am not sure how much the weight affects the running. I am using a shuffle rite now and its perfect. I was thinking of buying the sports band only but I really like to listen to music while running. so what I am thinkin is, what might be the best way to attach the iPT. An armwrist or better to have something round my waist? any suggestions?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I am planning on using the iPT with Nike+ as well but I am not sure how much the weight affects the running.

It is only 4 oz. That's negligible. I suspect the size of it might be more issue in running. If I could figure out which arm band is best to keep it from jettisoning through space I would buy and try.

At present I am mildly infatuated with the DLO sports band/action jacket. Just not sure if it fits the 2G.

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
I run, but I am a better swimmer.

Might the Nike + App work if I had an underwater proof case and possibly inserted the little bluetooth sensor in a flipper or fin? Or maybe attached somewhere along my jammers when it records the kicking from my thighs or from breaststrokes on my arm? lol Sounds kind of retarded, but I wonder how effective it might work underwater, knowing that one person can burn a calorie every yard they swim. Each lap across a regulation sized pool is 25 yards, so 25 calories per lap across. Now THAT would be something awesome to record... :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I am planning on using the iPT with Nike+ as well but I am not sure how much the weight affects the running. I am using a shuffle rite now and its perfect. I was thinking of buying the sports band only but I really like to listen to music while running. so what I am thinkin is, what might be the best way to attach the iPT. An armwrist or better to have something round my waist? any suggestions?

i really don't the weight would be a factor, but you just need something to keep sweat off of it, like some kind of waterproof case.

Might the Nike + App work if I had an underwater proof case and possibly inserted the little bluetooth sensor in a flipper or fin? Or maybe attached somewhere along my jammers when it records the kicking from my thighs or from breaststrokes on my arm? lol Sounds kind of retarded, but I wonder how effective it might work underwater, knowing that one person can burn a calorie every yard they swim. Each lap across a regulation sized pool is 25 yards, so 25 calories per lap across. Now THAT would be something awesome to record... :D

haha, now that would be cool. but do they make a waterproof case?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

I doubt there's enough impact to trigger the sensor properly as you kick. That, and the disruption in your pace at the walls would throw it off completely.

And there's no way you burn a calorie per yard of swimming...I'm definitely not burning 4000 calories per practice. Would be nice if I was though. :) A high-intensity freestyle swimming workout will burn ~850-1000 calories per hour for a ~200 lb. person.

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
I doubt there's enough impact to trigger the sensor properly as you kick. That, and the disruption in your pace at the walls would throw it off completely.

And there's no way you burn a calorie per yard of swimming...I'm definitely not burning 4000 calories per practice. Would be nice if I was though. :) A high-intensity freestyle swimming workout will burn ~850-1000 calories per hour for a ~200 lb. person.

Hm, never knew that. I guess I cannot believe everything I hear. (Unless you're Michael Phelps) XD

Oh well, Swimmers FTW!

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
I have been using it the last 2 days on 4 runs. Its fantasitc. no disconnections, errors in stats, etc.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
do you run with a case? also, would you mind posting some pics?

thanks

i did run with a case when i used my 3rd gen nano but no, i havent been using a case with the touch yet. i'll post some pics 2morrow.

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
thanks. yeah, i don't think there are many cases out there for it yet.

I recommend the best case for you would be the Griffin iClear case. Obviously, they haven't made any new cases for the line of refreshed iPods, but they have the best reviews I know of.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
thanks! could you maybe take a pic of the other nike+ screens, like the history? thanks so much!

Sorry for taking so long, here's some more.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    59.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    85.3 KB · Views: 50

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I recommend the best case for you would be the Griffin iClear case. Obviously, they haven't made any new cases for the line of refreshed iPods, but they have the best reviews I know of.

thanks, i'll look up that case

Sorry for taking so long, here's some more.

thanks so much for those pics! i'd like to see the history screen when you have runs in your history though

OSXmaniac

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I got this mail from the DLO Support today.

"We apologize for the inconvenience, the DLO products have to be recertified by Apple in order to state compatibility. We are in the process of this now.

If you have further questions, please call us at 866-892-4764."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.