nike+ on new ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by twoodcc, Sep 11, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

can those that have tried nike+ on the new ipod touch please post here your experience? and maybe pics/screenshots as well?

a comparison to the nano would be great also

thanks in advance

2. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Give me a week.

I just got the shoes, the sensor node thing arrives tomorrow.
    The iPT arrives Monday.

The shoes are the typically ridiculous design of all modern running shoes made by high end makers - fluted with oddly fairy-cake colors. Removing the foot pad lining on the left shoe reveals an indent of hard plastic with a foam nub to be removed allowing the sensor placement.

You could just buy a pouch to attach to any old sneaker, though.

I've been doing recumbent biking for months, so now I can switch over to running and monitor progress.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks, i look forward to hearing your impressions.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, that's what I do. I have a few pairs of running shoes, so that makes it easy to switch the sensor around.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the nike+ experience on the touch!

5. California King macrumors 65816

So what kind of things can you do with the nike+ app anyways? I know it's for runners, but that's it.

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

basically it's just for running and walking, and that's it. it tracks your distance, pace, calories, and then the rest is on the nike+ website - challenges, training, etc.

7. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I am looking forward to measuring and pacing active, outdoor workouts. Generally you can only do it well on gym equipment.

I'll try to post a whole run down of the Nike+ system in about a week, because they don't describe it very well on the Nike site, or the Apple site. It's an utter marketing shame that Nike/Apple don't describe the product's uses in more detail. I couldn't find anything decent on Nike's site, and Apple's description is minimal.

8. OSXmaniac macrumors newbie

OSXmaniac

I am planning on using the iPT with Nike+ as well but I am not sure how much the weight affects the running. I am using a shuffle rite now and its perfect. I was thinking of buying the sports band only but I really like to listen to music while running. so what I am thinkin is, what might be the best way to attach the iPT. An armwrist or better to have something round my waist? any suggestions?

9. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

It is only 4 oz. That's negligible. I suspect the size of it might be more issue in running. If I could figure out which arm band is best to keep it from jettisoning through space I would buy and try.

At present I am mildly infatuated with the DLO sports band/action jacket. Just not sure if it fits the 2G.

10. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I run, but I am a better swimmer.

Might the Nike + App work if I had an underwater proof case and possibly inserted the little bluetooth sensor in a flipper or fin? Or maybe attached somewhere along my jammers when it records the kicking from my thighs or from breaststrokes on my arm? lol Sounds kind of retarded, but I wonder how effective it might work underwater, knowing that one person can burn a calorie every yard they swim. Each lap across a regulation sized pool is 25 yards, so 25 calories per lap across. Now THAT would be something awesome to record... :D

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i really don't the weight would be a factor, but you just need something to keep sweat off of it, like some kind of waterproof case.

haha, now that would be cool. but do they make a waterproof case?

12. OSXmaniac macrumors newbie

OSXmaniac

13. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

alright, nice! looking forward to hearing your impressions

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I doubt there's enough impact to trigger the sensor properly as you kick. That, and the disruption in your pace at the walls would throw it off completely.

And there's no way you burn a calorie per yard of swimming...I'm definitely not burning 4000 calories per practice. Would be nice if I was though. :) A high-intensity freestyle swimming workout will burn ~850-1000 calories per hour for a ~200 lb. person.

15. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Hm, never knew that. I guess I cannot believe everything I hear. (Unless you're Michael Phelps) XD

Oh well, Swimmers FTW!

16. telf22 macrumors regular

I have been using it the last 2 days on 4 runs. Its fantasitc. no disconnections, errors in stats, etc.

17. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

do you run with a case? also, would you mind posting some pics?

thanks

18. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

19. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

20. telf22 macrumors regular

i did run with a case when i used my 3rd gen nano but no, i havent been using a case with the touch yet. i'll post some pics 2morrow.

21. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. yeah, i don't think there are many cases out there for it yet.

22. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I recommend the best case for you would be the Griffin iClear case. Obviously, they haven't made any new cases for the line of refreshed iPods, but they have the best reviews I know of.

23. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Sorry for taking so long, here's some more.

Attached Files:

24. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks, i'll look up that case

thanks so much for those pics! i'd like to see the history screen when you have runs in your history though

25. OSXmaniac macrumors newbie

OSXmaniac

I got this mail from the DLO Support today.

"We apologize for the inconvenience, the DLO products have to be recertified by Apple in order to state compatibility. We are in the process of this now.

If you have further questions, please call us at 866-892-4764."