Nike Plus App

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by gman901, Jul 4, 2016.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure a lot of people use or care about this app for the watch, but I use it regularly with my runs. Is there any chance that Apple will update it to work without a phone (both outside and on a treadmill)? I know the Samsung Gear S2 watch allows the Nike app to work alone.

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

OP I wouldn't count on it. 3rd party apps are a much better bet for continued support.

3. Bob190 macrumors 6502

I think that is up to Nike, not Apple. There are other 3rd party apps that allow you to run without the phone (Runkeeper, Wahoo Runfit), so the capability is there to incorporate it into the app if Nike chooses to do so. I wouldn't count on it though.

You can always run with the native workout app sans phone, and then use this app (Spectarun) to upload to Nike. I use it to export my runs to Strava.

4. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! You just solved my biggest gripe with the Apple Watch and made it much more useable to me!

5. Encoder macrumors member

The Nike Run Club (replaced Nike+) now allows you to run without your iPhone. Further, it automatically transfers the run into the Activity app, assuming you adjust the settings to allow it. It's pretty nice, honestly as pace, splits, total time and distance all appear as individual stats in the Activity app. However...there are a few bugs with the new Nike app. if you start a run on your Watch (even if you have your phone), the Watch runs independently, affecting distance and pace accuracy (slightly in my case, not major).