Nike Run app + music

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Juniorjcl, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Juniorjcl macrumors newbie

Hi, if anyone could help me.
    I'm thinking about buying an AW series 2 so i can go runnning without my iphone.
    I use the Nike Run Club app.
    Can i listen to the music that i had sync'd to the AW? Because on nike's website it says that it plays the music through the phone, so technically i would have to carry my phone with me.
    But can't i just leave the music playing on the background and use the nike app at the same time or other apps?
    thanks in advance for the help.

2. Jaimmin, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

Jaimmin macrumors newbie

Jaimmin

Even i'm wondering the same. Planning to buy AW Nike+ just so i can go on my runs without my iPhone. How do you stream music through the watch?

3. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

4. Juniorjcl thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i'm asking if i can put a music to play directly in the watch then open the nike app or any other app and still listen to the music.

5. Jaimmin macrumors newbie

Jaimmin

The link posted above answers our question. Yes you can.

@mallbritton - Thanks

6. Xodd macrumors regular

Hello,

Does the Nike app on the watch from using the GPS show you the route when you finish the run? Similar to what you'll see on the phone.

7. Bob190 macrumors 6502

The current version of Nike Run Club doesn't use the Series 2 GPS. You still need to carry your phone to get GPS data. Hopefully it will be updated eventually.

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yes, you surely can, provide you synced your music to the watch (@mallbritton provided the link on how to). If you're Apple Music subscriber there's a few tricks to access music easily while running.

9. OutGolfn macrumors regular

I wish Nike Run Club would put all their running playlists on Apple Music. They currently have them on Spotify and the mix of playlists are great.

One would think Tim Cook being on Nike's board, would have the Nike running playlists on Apple Music for value add to promote both Apple Watch and bring more music subs to their services. Hopefully this gets addressed soon by both companies because it certainly will help all parties and enhance the overall experience on hardware and software.

10. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

According to the NRC page on the App Store it does. In fact is says I can run without the iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2016 ---
    Agree. I'm not going to subscribe to both Spotify and Apple Music.

11. Bob190 macrumors 6502

You can .. it just uses the accelerometer to estimate distance/pace. It doesn't use the Series 2 GPS, so you won't get a map. Why not try it and see for yourself.

12. mallbritton, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016

mallbritton macrumors 6502a

I don't have an AW yet.

What you're saying doesn't jibe with what I'm reading on the App Store page for NRC. I could be misunderstanding what I'm reading, but the app description implies the most recent version of the app uses the GPS. Under "Apple Watch" it says "Please note that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life."

13. Bob190 macrumors 6502

This applies to your phone's battery life.

Believe me, it doesn't support the Series 2 GPS. I have both a Series 0 and Series 2 and I am a registered developer, along with a runner, and have tested the latest release of the NRC app on both watches.

There are many threads concerning the Series 2 GPS and the lack of apps that utilize the integrated GPS. The only app available as of today (outside of the native Workout app) that uses the Series 2 GPS is the Pear Sports app.

Again, there are many threads on the topic.

14. mallbritton, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

mallbritton macrumors 6502a

In that case, it appears the NRC app info page is misleading, isn't it? Good info. Thanks.

15. ukms macrumors regular

ukms

My understanding is that this will change later this month when the Nike+ watch is released presumably the app will be updated to use GPS (on the AW)

16. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

He's talking about "now". I have a feeling this could change on Oct 28th, the day AW NIKE edition released.