Nike run app - still can't run with just watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by TorontoSS, Sep 16, 2016.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

hi there - I've downloaded the Nike app and not there s no way to switch it to Watch mode on the phone even though I have an Apple Watch series 2. Would this change with an update?

2. jk1002 macrumors member

I think you might be using it wrong, it says in the app description that this is possible

3. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps. But here there's no option for me to use in this screen shot

Attached Files:

4. Bob190, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Bob190 macrumors 6502

Currently only using the accelerometer to track distance and pace. Somewhat amazingly, neither Nike Run Club nor Viewranger have been updated to use the Series 2 integrated GPS despite both being featured in the keynote.

So you are basically stuck with the Workout app for now if you want to run with GPS and without your phone.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Proboly only on the next update.

6. Ryanmrash, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Noted you have indoor/treadmill turned on. On the phone that will disable GPS. Try toggling that off. Also, do you have NRC installed on the watch?

7. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - will try that. For now what I may do is just use the work out app and sync it to the Nike app. Seems to work fine right now for indoor runs at least.

8. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Since i use NRC frequently on the phone Im excited to try it sans phone with the new watch. But since the built in workout app does basically the same run tracking and mapping, I may just stick with the workout app. Will give both a test and see how it works out.

9. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree. I use the coaching feature on the NRC in attempts to get just a bit faster from my super slow pace, and I think it's great. However since you can sync runs to NRC it's good. That being said, don't think those speed runs (where you run for 200m or 400m and pause) will be the same with the workout app.

10. TonnyJoost macrumors newbie

TonnyJoost

No 3. part trainingapps can use the built-in GPS yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks or in worst case months?

11. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Yeah i also use Nike Training Club. Whoever said thats for women only is crazy. IMO its as close as you can get to crossfit, and its completely free. I really really like it. NRC and NTC work together to build a program and they share data. I started with a running program that added NTC workouts, but Ive switched over to workout program that adds NRC runs.

So in that respect i want to keep using Nike exclusively...But want to I test it beside the Apple workout app, look for differences in accuracy, battery life, usability, etc....I can always run with apple and just add it to Nike data manually.....