Nike Run Club App slow to start/stop

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by mk313, Mar 19, 2017.

  1. mk313 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2012
    #1
    I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this & if so, if they have tips for speeding things up. I've been using the Nike Run Club app and I love it so far. The only issue I'm having is that it seems to take a long time for the app to start a run and a long time to stop a run. I have to hit the button multiple times to get it working, and the same thing at the end of a run. At the end, I can stop running & once I'm standing still in one place, it will pause & I can then stop it, but it just seems to take a very long time.

    On today's run, it took a good 30 seconds to start tracking. I don't know if this has anything to do with me driving to the park with my phone in the car, then starting the run on my watch, and leaving the phone in the car, and the watch then going out of range of the phone as i'm starting to run, or if anyone has any other ideas as to what could be causing it. Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

    Hermes Monster

    Joined:
    May 4, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    I've had the same problem with stopping, and it absolutely ruined by average pace :( can't offer any help I'm afraid
     
  3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

    Mad Mac Maniac

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    #3
    well I start my workouts on the iPhone app (I have series 0) so my experience will be a little different. However, I usually have a mild delay (maybe 5 seconds?), but that's after the app fully loads on my iPhone which can take another 5-10 seconds. But it's pretty clear when the recording actually starts, so if you care about exact starting I would think you could just wait?

    Regarding stopping, the "pause" for me seems to work pretty quickly. and once it's paused it shouldn't matter how long it takes to stop, right? Or does it take long times for it to even pause?

    I'll agree that the app is pretty slow. The biggest issues I've faced (again starting from phone with series 0 watch) is 1) sometimes the run won't transfer from phone to watch and 2) when it does I've had the watch app crash several times during running. When it crashes I can't get the Nike+ app to load at all on the watch (it's still running on iPhone), so I just start a run using the built in workout app. Otherwise it won't record HR appropriately.

    Overall, I will admit that the apple watch is not as good of a running watch as some of the dedicated units.
     
  4. mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2012
    #4
    Thanks for the feedback. For starting, I'm not always sure when it starts, but I've solved that issue for now by reinstating the countdown at the beginning of the run. This way I always k ow when the run starts.

    On ending the run, yah, I was talking about pausing it. At least for me, from the watch, I always have to pause it before I end it, then ending is the next step. I'm getting used to the auto pause feature, which helps, but it doesn't always seem to engage. I'm not sure if I'm moving my arm or what, but about 80% of the time, the aunt pause works when I finish a run, and then the other 20% of the time, the app just continues to run. Oh well. I see they pushed out an update today. The app is getting better & better. Hopefully this will get fixed in some future update. For now, I've learned to manage around most of the limitations in the watch/app so at least it's functional for me. Not perfect, but good enough for my needs.

    Thanks again for the help.
     

Share This Page