Nike Run Club (NRC+) piss & moan thread

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by jon08, Oct 19, 2018.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

So it’s really frustrating that after all this time this app is still riddled with bugs, esp. since it’s partnered with Apple.

Although they’ve improved it slighly in the last couple of months, it still lacks.

1. If you start Basic run from iPhone it won’t always mirror it on your AW. I found that the best solution is to force quit the watch ap before you start the workout ob your iPhone. Then it will pretty much always mirror it on your AW.

2. SPEED runs. As soon as you hit the “Rest” button after the interval the Rest timer will start counting seconds but when the watch’s screen goes dim/black the timer will stop instead of running in the background. Which makes this thing basically useless. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

2. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

i dunno.. after like 6 years, i finally gave up on NRC a few weeks ago. I got the new S4 (had an S2) but haven't tried it with the new watch yet because I still have lingering feelings about all the frustration its caused over the past couple of months.

3. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

My guess is it's never going to work right because Apple considers it a third-party app, and Nike doesn't care enough to fix it.

I enjoyed eight smooth years with Nike+. Then, after buying my Series 2 Nike watch, a year of frustration. Now I use Apple's native, trouble-free workout app. I'd rather enjoy my workouts than futz around with Nike's garbage app.

4. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

I gave up years ago when they lied about what the app could and couldn't do. I had an S0 which had no GPS, so you had to carry your phone with you during a run (which is fine). That worked fine - drew the map and everything. When the S3 was released, Nike removed support for the S0 to use the phone for GPS, so you could no longer get a map - but they kept it in the feature list. When questioned on it, they lied and said it's impossible for a Watch app to use the phone GPS...despite the app doing this before.

The latest version has locked down importing and exporting fitness files. I used to like that I could get my results in different apps, but Nike has locked it down and now you can't. So now I use the Workout app and HealthFit to sync to Strava. I'd like to use the Nike app, but frankly, it's crap, and the developers are hell-bent on removing features and lying to you like you're an idiot.

Workout, Strava, HealthFit all the way.

5. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Excellent point. And the lying went beyond what Nike listed in the app description. On the splashy product page on its own website, Apple claimed that you could send and receive "virtual fist bumps" on the Nike+ version of the Series 2 watch. Apple even had a picture of the "fist bump" (see below). In fact, that feature was NEVER implemented by Nike into the app. Via both email and a phone call, I pointed it out this misleading aspect of the advertisement to Apple's Executive Relations division in Cupertino. They just blew me off — and the advertisement remain unchanged until the Series 3 was released.

Nike also obviously lied when they told us that the Nike+ website, which we could log in to and see our stats, had gone offline for maintenance several months ago. It soon became clear that the site wasn't coming back.

I didn't actually care about the "virtual fist bump" or any of the other silly social-media aspects of the NRC app. I just wanted it to smoothly record workouts on my $400 watch. But it never, ever did.

[​IMG]

6. rbart macrumors 6502

rbart

I have tested, once again, NRC on my S2 ...
    I wanted to know if they have improved this app and ... no : NO IMPROVEMENT
    It's slow, slow. When you raise your wrist while running, you frequently have a spinning wheel and have to wait for seconds to display the data.
    It's unbelievable to have a so badly designed app for a so big company, an app that is advertised by Apple ...
    Apple standard workout app is smooth and fast, with more customization. It only misses the fun of NRC ...

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Have you tried deleting the app, rebooting both iPhone & Watch and reinstalling the app? If not, maybe you could give it a try. On AW3 for example it's at least not too bad regarding the speed.

8. rbart macrumors 6502

rbart

9. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Btw, have they optimized the app for S4 screen?

10. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it’s been updated for the Series 4.

11. menace3 macrumors 6502a

menace3

Finally have joined the club. I did my first run last night with Apple Workouts instead of Nike. I will give props to Nike for inspiring me to run again since the first nike watch. I was someone that also used the Nike band previously. THe app never has the correct number of miles I ran for the month in the complication, well not until I go into the app and force sync details about the run. The spinning circles, the setup of the apple watch after EVERY SINGLE NIKE APP UPDATE, and more. I just removed it from my infograph face.

I was even excited for thr NTC app, but I have to have my phone with me to start a workout? That just does not make much sense.

So I'm done. Bye Nike... bye bye

12. MedRed macrumors member

MedRed

Nike Run club on the series 2 is slow and painful. I would often have to wait for it to load, or get the green dot of death, or the app would be unresponsive when needing to start a run or switch between indoor/outdoor. I'd sometimes have runs that finally started hours later after an unresponsive session.

I had an opportunity to back up to a series 3 watch and try it and it had NONE of the issues I had on two series 2 watches. When the 4 came out, I upgraded from a 2 to a 4 and it's smooth sailing. The app works quickly and I have yet to have it hang or be unresponsive. Now that it works on the infograph face, I have no complaints.

13. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

So what you're saying is that those of us who bought the $400 series 2 Nike+ Apple Watch and expected the NRC app to work as advertised only need to spend another $400 and it will indeed work as advertised? Count me out. :D

14. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I've been keeping track of this thread but I wanted to stay out of it. I think I complain about Nike too much as it is, but I just have to laugh at this point.

Nike has been breaking our hearts (an apps too) for years now. The S4 might run NRC just fine, but wait until the next AW comes out. NRC will run like garbage. I'd say that the website would be gimped, but I don't think they can strip that any further.

And when your, previously smooth running AW goes bad (I'm guessing October 2019), you'll think back to this post and think, "wow, that ftaok dude was right".