Nike+ Running crashes

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by PatrickNSF, May 24, 2015.

1. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Anyone using the Nike+ Running app? Just started using it three days ago and it has crashed during each run. It appears to lose communication with the phone and then won't reconnect. The phone app continues running fine until I end the run. Have contacted Nike Support but have not heard anything back.

And today I uninstalled both the phone and watch apps from my devices, reinstalled, but the problem still persisted. Any thoughts?

2. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

I've used it a lot in the three weeks I've had my AW.

I've only had it "crash" on the watch twice. But it didn't stop my iPhone from continuing. I'll tell you this, that I learned, if it crashes on your Watch do not restart it. It seems possible to have it going twice at the same time.

Overall I'm very pleased with Nike+ GPS on my Watch. I've used the app for years on my phone. The way I do it (which I'm not saying is right or makes a difference),

-Close all other apps on my phone.
    -Do the set up of the app (run, distance/time/open), music, indoors/outdoors on the phone.
    -Open the app on my Watch and hit play from there
    -run

I've able to tap the screen on my watch to rotate between information. I continue to get text messages and can see them as needed.

In the three weeks I've had the watch, I've used it at 10-15 times and only two issues. Which at this point I'm thinking is "ooops".

3. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Thanks. This is very helpful and I'm going to try your strategy for today's run.

4. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

I've used the app on my phone for years. And for a while it had issues on my phone. Closing all apps first seemed to help, so I continue that as routine.

And I failed to mention on the Nike app on your Watch as you run you can tap the screen to rotate data (pace, distance or time). The taping is an excellent feature as easier to do while running than swipoing.

Then at the end of run, I'm able to stop the run from the Watch. If you post to FB/Twetter, you have to do that from the phone.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not ready for prime time and until 3ed party apps are native I will run Nike + on my iPhone. I also run the :apple:Watch Workout App too along with my Garmin 620. This gives me 3 recordings of each run.

6. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

I was looking at he Garmin 220 when I decided to hold off and get AW instead. Clearly the Garmin's are better for run specific....especially at this point. Overall I'm pleased with the decision.

Have you run with AW w/out your phone? I'm curious as to accuracy.

I'm use to running w/my phone, but I don't like to in the rain as the armband I use in the rain is big, bulky and uncomfortable (my normal armband is completely open, so no go in the rain).

I could see, on occasion, running with AW only and a set of BT headphones.

7. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Julien – Are you running with both the Watch and the 620? I did that once last week after the mileage reported by the Workout app was substantially off two consecutive days. That's when I started trying Nike+ (which crashed, or lost connection, the next 3 runs).

I can't see running with both watches on my wrist every day, but am considering trying to strap the Garmin on to my running belt for backup until the Watch apps become more reliable.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I use my Garmin as my 'official' run/cardio recording and my :apple:Watch as my over all fitness recorder.

I have been running with my iPhone since 2007 and 'never leave home without it'.:D

I have found the distance recorded by my :apple:Watch to be inconsistent. I do mostly road runs but I also throw in some extreme trail running. This seems to throw the calibration off. I wish Apple would use GPS mapping instead.

Oddly today I did a little over 6.5 miles road run and my :apple:Watch came very close. Garmin was 6.55 (had a rare reboot [probably related to a pending software update I should have installed] at mile 1.97 and lost a little distance), Nike + was 6.7 and :apple:Watch at 6.67 miles.

Also I use a fanny pack because I can't stand arm bands (non symmetrical) or bouncing in my pocket. Plus I can use in the rain since it is well protected in back and I just use a plastic baggie if it looks like rain (carry in pack).

[​IMG]

----------

Yes, Garmin on the right while running or doing cardio.:eek: