Nike + Running Update now w/ Health Integration

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by CaptMarvel, Oct 28, 2014.

1. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

It's about time! For those waiting I'm sure this is a move in the right direction, however with some of the things the iPhone can already it's noticeable that some integration with Health is limited. Hopefully an update with come for the Nike Fuelband app today as well or soon. Currently with the Nike + Running app it can write fuel into the dashboard for you, but for those that use Nike Fuelbands I'm sure you'd like to see fuel for the whole day and not just during a running session.

Time will tell how much further Nike will integrate into iOS!

2. RosOne macrumors regular

I've been waiting so long for this update and it's such a big disappointment: It doesn't sync runs from your Nike+ profile. It'll only sync if you run using the Nike Running app.

Using a Nike Sportwatch GPS, syncing it with Nike+, it obviously shows in their running app with all the stats (time, pace, elevation, heartrate) and it won't sync with HealthKit. What the hell?! :(

3. CaptMarvel thread starter macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

After tinkering around with it, my Nike Fuel still hasn't populated my dashboard from this morning's run #. Perhaps a run tomorrow will correct this.

4. Saint Errant macrumors newbie

As someone who only uses the app...I don't think it even does that. According to Health, it sends Nikefuel data (only nothing is showing up) and "Workouts", which, um, isn't a category in Health. I'm not sure what data it's sending, but Health doesn't have anywhere to put it.

5. ttmrn macrumors regular

6. ttmrn macrumors regular

HealthKit is just like a data log book. it's doesn't interface with anything online.
    it also does not show u anything "useful" that u are used to seeing.
    it's just a log book.

it does, however, interface with "apps".
    the "apps" would read and/or write to the HealthKit.
    so when u complete something, like a run, the app will read the relevant components - and then add that data to the HealthKit. That's all.

i don't know of a "Nike+" app in iPhone. so I suppose u're only talking about the online profile?
    now, how would your online profile interface with the HealthKit in the first place?

so unless nike develops an app to retrieve ur online data, and start writing it to the healthkit - what u're asking for - is not possible now.

7. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Was hoping for a notification widget to start my run like Strava has. No luck.

----------

You can download all sync'd runs to the app from the settings. These do not go across to the health app though. Only new runs do. Retrospective data does not go even if you download it to the app.

8. RosOne macrumors regular

HealthKit is a central hub for your health and fitness data. The beauty of it is that apps can read data that they don't track. For example a sleep tracker can gather data from HealthKit about your activity that day and have a better image of your sleep quality.

The Health App is a visualization of that data.

Now when it comes to Nike, the app and data: You run with any device like Nike Sportband, Sportwatch, FuelBand or even the iPhone Nike Running app. This data is synced with their server and you can view it on their website or in your iPhone Running app. All runs are being synced with the app. At this stage using any device gets you to the same point.

Now for my disappointment: I want the app to sync all my data from all my previous and new runs with HealthKit. THAT is the whole point. It's not even that big of a problem, I can fill in data manually into the Health app anyway. I buy fitness accessories, I use them and I want to use that data :)

9. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Really!

I expected it to populate Steps and Walking+Running Distance at a minimum. But it doesn't touch either.

I can't believe nobody at Nike bothered to test this. All the "Workouts" data just falls in the bit bucket for now, I guess...