Nike+ Running with Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ZeRoLiMiT, Jun 12, 2015.

1. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

Has anyone tried this? wondering if it records were you are running and distance or just the time?

2. njsp macrumors newbie

Yes, I use this. It does record distance and also where I'm running. I haven't figured out how to stop that app from the watch though when I'm done. I have to stop it from my phone. I'm also running Runtastic at the same time.

3. ZeRoLiMiT thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

I would like to run without my huge iPhone 6+. How accurate would it be without the phone.?

4. Mr. Y macrumors regular

As I understand it, the watch doesn't have GPS, so it limits what is recorded.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I use the Workout App on the :apple:Watch while simultaneously running Nike+ on my iPhone. I plan on moving to the Nike+ :apple:Watch App in wOS 2.0. As of now you don't get Activity credit if you use the :apple:Watch Nike+ App. Also it is buggy and is basically a 'remote control' for the iPhone App.

Wait for 2.0 with native support 3ed party App support and 3ed party Activity reporting. For now just run Nike+ on your iPhone.

6. ZeRoLiMiT thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

cool thanks!.

does it record distance? like 1mile and so on?

7. jthesssin macrumors regular

jthesssin

I have been running with my SB SSLB AW and Nike+ app on the iPhone for the last few weeks. The Nike+ app will record tracks on the map and it includes the average speeds when reviewing the run afterwards. If you start the Nike+ app then start an open run on the AW then the Nike+ app will also record the heart rate.

8. Spicedham macrumors regular

force touch to get the stop menu

9. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

You need to take your phone with you to use the Nike + Running Apple Watch app.

First, you should calibrate your watch by walking or running outside in a clear open space for 20 minutes - DO NOT use any other app to track this activity, only the workout app on the watch - You MUST bring your phone with you. This will let the watch gauge what it records with it's sensors compared to your phone's GPS.

Then you will get proper credit when you run outside. You can use the Nike + Running app on the Watch to start the app on your phone. You can end it by force touching and stopping the work out. You need to change your watch to resume it's last activity on wrist raise then you can see your current stats as you run.

The Nike + Running app can't use the heart rate from the watch (as of yet), but 3rd party ones work great when paired with the Health app on your phone.

Watch OS 2 will hopefully make it so you can just bring the watch after it's calibrated, though it still won't track any GPS because it's not present.

10. jthesssin macrumors regular

jthesssin

Actually, it does. I have been using my AW with Nike+ app on the phone for 2 weeks now and i get heart rate data in my Nike+ app. There is a trick to it. First start a run from Nike+ on your iPhone. Once that starts got to your AW and start an open run. During the progress of your run you will need to scroll thru the metrics of the AW open run until you see heart rate. leave it on heart rate for a few minutes during the run. once your run is complete, end it on the Nike+ app first. you will need the nike+ app on the watch, but don't use it. start all Nike+ app stuff on the phone and only use the Activity app on the AW. The only time i didn't get heart rate data on my run was when i forgot to check my heart rate during the run.

11. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Oh that's probably because the Nike app takes it heart rate data directly from the health app so you're probably forcing the watch to update Health, which in turn the app can read. - That's cool to know.

12. ijme, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

ijme macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to change the PACE display on AW to DISTANCE? It used to be distance and somehow it changed to pace. I can't wait for WOS2...

UPDATE: Nevermind, I got it. Just tap the display. Duh! Thanks for listening...

13. Johnno87 macrumors member

If i run with Nike+ my rings will be updated because of the movement. Only there is no workout session logged in activity app. This will be fixed in os2

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, wOS2 will allow 3ed party Apps to write to the Activity App. So it's almost certain the Nike+ App will write all data to the Activity App/Rings.

15. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I know this is an old thread, but I think the Nike+ app on the Apple Watch is really in need of an update. It's pretty terrible as it is... I've been using Nike+ for 6-7 years (iPod Nano 1, iPhone, Nike+GPS Sportswatch etc.) but this is just not good enough... The build in is better and they have had almost a month with watchOS 2.0 now - Come on Nike...

16. Joshwoodsen macrumors newbie

Joshwoodsen

Totally agree. Been waiting on this and expecting an update since os2 but losing hope in the app.

17. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

And major disappointment that we are now over six months after OS 2 release and no Nike update to be seen

18. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I completely agree. I still use the same method I always have (and Julien mentioned above). I use the workout app on the watch and Nike+ from my iPhone. It works pretty well for me.

Honestly however, even if/when Nike+ becomes watch native, I'll probably still bring my iPhone with my on my runs. It's just worth it to a) get GPS and b) listen to podcasts/audiobooks. Running independently of my iPhone is still a pipedream for now.

19. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The last time I used the app, it registered 0 miles I didn't realize that you need to run with your phone (was on a treadmill).

Right now, I use a Garmin GPS watch to track my runs and add my runs to the Nike app manually.

I had sold my Apple Watch as I couldn't seem to find an accurate way to record runs on it although others seem to have success.

Debating on buying the Apple Watch again. Not sure at the moment.

20. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I've been using the on board Apple Watch sports app for my runs... Gives me distance, pace, heart rate etc. but would love to go back to Nike+ with the whole community part and map of the runs