Nike shoes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GoCubsGo, Jun 4, 2008.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm going to totally screw this up trying to explain this but I am looking for a pair of Nike shoes. The way they were described to me was that they were so light you couldn't tell you had them on. They were also super flexible, as though you could roll them in a ball and put them into your pocket. I tried searching Nike, but their product line is so extensive I couldn't figure it out.

Would anyone know what shoes I'm referring to? The person who wants them is a male and tried his friend's on. Neither are athletes, these shoes are trainers (tennis shoes) but worn on a daily basis.

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't buy Nike shoes period.

Nike is not a good company. Check out what the do to their female workers in their Malaysian factories. I read that years ago and haven't bought Nike since.

I know that many other companies treat their workers like slaves it's just that I know about Nike and don't know about the others. It's the head in the sand way of dealing with things.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

4. buffalo macrumors 65816

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

She asked about a pair of shoes, not your opinion of the company.

6. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Thats what I was thinking.

Just don't play basketball in them. They rip easily.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Any competitive running shoe is essentially made to be as small and light as possible. They're not really designed for regular training though. You'd train in one pair of shoes, and you'd use the other shoes when you're looking to compete, as it doesn't offer you as much cushioning as regular training shoes or any other type of shoe. Depending on the distance they were meant to cover, the shoes will be a different size. In fact, the shoe may be so bendable that there doesn't even feel like there's much of a sole inside (which is why you don't use them all the time).

I think these are Nike's equivalent of those shoes, but I may be wrong.

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml#l=n...0,_grid,f-10002+12001+26005&re=US&co=US&la=EN

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml#l=n...d,f-10002+12001+26005+17001&re=US&co=US&la=EN

I mentioned all that running stuff to explain why these runners are so thin and short (height-wise). You could probably pull them off as regular wear. Maybe these are it.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Nike is either discontinuing or revising the Free 5.0, as most retailers (including Nike online) are not getting more stock. I've gotten differing answers from Nike customer service, Nike sales, and various online retailers. I've gotten "it's just that popular," "discontinued," "fall catalog colors are in pre-production," and "new version." It's almost as bad as trying to figure out what Apple is going to do.

The Everyday is fine, but doesn't appear to have the flex or profile that the 5.0 has. The official Free site is even more frustrating as the Everyday isn't listed, and they have the 3, 5, and 7 all still posted. I know men only have the 5, and I'm pretty sure that the 3 and 7 are now being killed off for women as well.

In the event that is what she's looking for, do either you have thoughts on the Free? My first pair just arrived today, and I'm curious to know how long it takes to get comfortable in them.

9. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was only asking about the shoes. :) Sheesh....someone should spank your ass. :D
    But I am very aware of Nike, I did a major paper in my ethics course on them.

Yeah! Sooooo :p:p:p

The Free 5.0 sound just about right. I always found Nike confusing about discontinuing their lines and such. I for one have only found one brand of shoes that work for me (flat foot and slight pronation) and that is new balance. Sorry if there is something political about them, there's nothing political about foot surgery resulting from wearing the wrong shoes when I'm 50. ;)

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The Nike Free is supposed to simulate barefoot running. A few articles and blogs have suggested that these will reduce running related injuries by returning to our most fundamental mechanics.

Best running shoes that I've tried? Asics - Gel Kayano
    http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7201293/c/50326.html

11. buffalo macrumors 65816

It's been over a year since I stopped wearing my Free 5.0. I bought them largely out of curiosity. During their life, they were just my walk around in everyday shoes. I did not buy them to run in. For walking around, I did like them. They were comfortable, light, and I had no feet problems. I can not necessarily say that they made my feet any stronger. If you do plan on running in them, start with just a mile or so, preferably on grass. Slowly build up if they are not bothersome.

12. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

i have a couple pairs of nike frees, and i use them for short durations.. walking around all day in them gets pretty uncomfortable.. so i wouldn't recommend getting them if you're looking to use them for a primary pair of shoes.. also some people say not to wear socks with them.. but i think thats gross :]

13. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

they feel like you're wearing a thick pair of socks. They're very comfortable to a degree, but offer no real shock protection.

14. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Not thrilled with my Frees. Rub blisters.

But I love the Nike Air Zoom Hot Shot:
    [​IMG]

Just about the only shoe I wear. I do run in these, but they don't offer much ankle support so I always feel like my ankle needs to pop. But they are so light I don't care.