Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nike Training Club is now available on the Apple Watch, as part of a free update to the existing iPhone app released today.

apple-watch-nike-training-club-800x450.jpg

The personal training tool offers more than 180 free workouts, ranging from strength and endurance to mobility and yoga, with expertise from Nike trainers and sponsored athletes like Cristiano Ronaldo and Serena Williams.

Workouts can be started in the iPhone app, and then the Apple Watch app allows users to easily check the amount of time or reps remaining for a drill. Apple Watch wearers will also receive haptic feedback during workouts.

nike-training-club-apple-watch-800x235.jpg

The release notes provide more details:Easily control your workout - advance to the next drill, pause, skip drills, and more, directly from your wrist
Monitor your heart rate, calories and Exercise ring progress
Haptic guidance to stay on track with less distractions
Workout recommendations to help you hit your Exercise goalNike Training Club, free on the App Store, requires iOS 11 or later on iPhone and watchOS 4 or later on Apple Watch.

Article Link: Nike Training Club Launches on Apple Watch

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
What have you been using instead? I have been tired of it since they did the major update. Confusing. This app can’t be used without the iPhone as well.
Just using the built in Workouts app for the time being. Good enough for now. I switch platforms every year or two.

Reactions: ob81

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
No thanks. Their "Fuel Points" were meaningless and showed they were out of touch with how to measure a workout. "Here's a worthless point that equates to nothing. It's not equal to a calorie or a step. You know, units of measure that everyone knows and have a meaning."

TSteffen

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018

Nike Training Club is now available on the Apple Watch, as part of a free update to the existing iPhone app released today.

apple-watch-nike-training-club-800x450.jpg

The personal training tool offers more than 180 free workouts, ranging from strength and endurance to mobility and yoga, with expertise from Nike trainers and sponsored athletes like Cristiano Ronaldo and Serena Williams.

Workouts can be started in the iPhone app, and then the Apple Watch app allows users to easily check the amount of time or reps remaining for a drill. Apple Watch wearers will also receive haptic feedback during workouts.

nike-training-club-apple-watch-800x235.jpg

The release notes provide more details:Easily control your workout - advance to the next drill, pause, skip drills, and more, directly from your wrist
Monitor your heart rate, calories and Exercise ring progress
Haptic guidance to stay on track with less distractions
Workout recommendations to help you hit your Exercise goalNike Training Club, free on the App Store, requires iOS 11 or later on iPhone and watchOS 4 or later on Apple Watch.

Article Link: Nike Training Club Launches on Apple Watch

You know... I just you the stock running tracker. But I’m old and slow.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Hmm...I've been having terrible trouble with their NRC watch app...seems so strange to me that Nike has been marching forward with their apps while I can't get their running app to reliably record a run. Anyone else having a similar experience?

I'll pass. I just moved away from NRC when they shut down their website.

Wow- I had no idea they shut down the website...

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
I'd like to know how this compares to Aaptive, my workout app of choice. Their guided workouts are SUPER motivating. $9.99/month, but you can find discounts and also purchase one year up front for a solid discount.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Hmm...I've been having terrible trouble with their NRC watch app...seems so strange to me that Nike has been marching forward with their apps while I can't get their running app to reliably record a run. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Wow- I had no idea they shut down the website...

Me, neither. I stopped looking there and using NRC after about the 4th time it crashed after stopping a run. I am so over it. The built in app gets better with every release and I only miss equipment tracking.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Am I missing where all of my runs are?
You're correct. The NRC website is useless. All of your activity which use to reside on the website is now only accessible via the app. It's really a joke what Nike has done to their system. Their first running app was great and now it's just a buggy mess that brute forces marketing and their athletes down your throat.

I'm sure this Nike Training thing will be more of the same, then abandoned a few years later.

Here's a history of Nike's recent fitness systems.

Nike Fuel band - abandoned
Nike + iPod - abandoned
Nike Active - abandoned
Nike Kinect - abandoned
Nike Running - abandoned for NRC+ (Nike Run Club)
NRC website - gimped

Prediction Nike Training Club - abandoned 2019

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Exactly! You used to be able to Log on and see your run graph etc, did all that go away ?
Correct. All of your running data is now gone from the website. You can no longer access it with a browser. The only way you can see your data is to use the NRC app, only available for iOS and Android. If you use another platform, oh well.

Edit - typo in bold

Last edited:
Reactions: FightTheFuture

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Correct. All of your running data is not gone from the website. You can no longer access it with a browser. The only way you can see your data is to use the NRC app, only available for iOS and Android. If you use another platform, oh well.
Yeah this was a tough pill to swallow. Back in December I stopped using the NRC AW app because it simply wouldn't load on my Series 0 Apple Watch. I got a big discount on a Series 1 in May and started using NRC again. So I went into the NRC site with the intention to enter all of my Workouts app runs manually and the option wasn't there anymore. I wound up having to laboriously enter each one individually on my iPhone.

One good thing comes from this though - it shows Nike is trying to follow trends and focus only on what their users are using most, instead of spreading themselves too thin.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How does something like this compare to an app like Keep (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keep-home-workout-trainer/id1287964023?mt=8) ??

Hmf. Another suggestion for a soft spelt of colours in a workout app that requires its iPhone component to be running (negating concern for display timeout lock from working as that should).

I’ll stick to my Strong! Weight training app. Your suggestion looks like it has modern abs workout though. Like this app which I tried and dumped last summer. Downloaded will test abs workout this week

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Hmf. Another suggestion for a soft spelt of colours in a workout app that requires its iPhone component to be running (negating concern for display timeout lock from working as that should).

I’ll stick to my Strong! Weight training app. Your suggestion looks like it has modern abs workout though. Like this app which I tried and dumped last summer. Downloaded will test abs workout this week

I'm looking for something that has fat-burning exercises as well (which is one of the reasons I chose Keep).

Reactions: DeepIn2U

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
I always did like the workouts and the plans in NTC. May give this another go. I used NRC for a long time and liked it fine but didn't like that the runs that were recorded on my watch would not transfer the maps over to the Apple activity app. I've been using runtastic as it transfers all data into activity and let's you see your heart rate zone. I've been messing around with runtastic results but it's a little clunky and the watch app doesn't track heart rate.

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I am really surprised by some replies. My NRC and NTC are accurately collecting all the data. Maps are stored on my phone, workouts are stored and i can access everything via the corresponding apps.
NRC has always tracked heart rate and now NTC does so as well.

Only occasionally I experience a run completely shut off when I have completed it. However, in most cases, the run appears on my phone after only a few minutes.

I could not imagine using another app :)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I am really surprised by some replies. My NRC and NTC are accurately collecting all the data. Maps are stored on my phone, workouts are stored and i can access everything via the corresponding apps.
NRC has always tracked heart rate and now NTC does so as well.

Only occasionally I experience a run completely shut off when I have completed it. However, in most cases, the run appears on my phone after only a few minutes.

I could not imagine using another app :)

If the Nike apps work well for you, that's great. There are a bunch of folks on here where the Nike apps worked well for them as well, up until the time that they stopped working well for them.

In my case, the major problems started last fall (October 2017) with the introduction of the S3 Nike watch. Whatever they did to the app to accommodate the S3, killed it for me and my S2. Problems ranged from little stuff like having to wait 10 seconds or so after hitting start for the app to actually start. Inconsistent mileage markers on the map when viewed on the iPhone app (interestingly, the maps on the website were accurate). Seemingly random crashes. etc.

I switched to another running app and haven't looked back. I still log my data to NRC so that I don't lose all of the miles and stuff, but even that is less and less interesting. Especially if the only place to look at the data is on my tiny 4.3" screen.

Many of us long-time Nike users remember the older apps that were fast, accurate and bullet-proof reliably. Unfortunately, those days are gone at Nike.

Reactions: ob81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.