Nike watch question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mrmicp, Sep 16, 2017.

1. mrmicp macrumors member

Hi All,

I'm now ready to bite on a Apple Watch. Never been wholly convinced before but as I do some running the idea of having LTE connectivity while out is a winner. I currently have a Garmin 230, I know I'm not going to get as much running data but not having to take my phone out on a run cancels it out

So I've been looking at the Nike edition and just wondered if you're able to de-Nike it, take the swoosh off the watch face etc...

Thanks

Mic P

2. GoFlex macrumors regular

GoFlex

Couldn't you just get a normal Apple Watch?? The Nike edition, as far as I know (this is my first Apple Watch too!), is no different other than the band and Watch face (that you want to de-Nike).

3. mrmicp thread starter macrumors member

I have considered it but I like the sports band and the Nike + features may be of use but if I later decide I don't like the Nike software branding I'd like the ability to remove it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can just use a non-Nike watch face. The Nike edition comes with a set of exclusive Nike watch faces, but you have the other standard apple watch faces to use as well.

5. mrmicp thread starter macrumors member

That's awesome Thanks for the reply!

6. AppleKarma, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

AppleKarma macrumors regular

I want a Nike Watch too... But I'm not sure how useful is for a walker (not a runner).

7. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

At least with the S2 and wOS3, the Nike watch faces cannot be customized to remove the NRC complication. See the picture below.

IMG_0389.PNG

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Correct... but you can still use any of the myriad other non-Nike watch faces.

The Nike band is really nice for sports. I'd go with the Nike edition just for that, even if I didn't like NRC and the Nike watch faces

9. desertrat23 macrumors member

I'm on the fence as to if I should buy a Nike or a regular S2, assuming I can get a good discount on one now that the S3 is out. I like the feel of the Nike bands as well -- can't I buy them separately?

10. sketdansuu macrumors member

sketdansuu

With the Nike edition you can't delete the watch faces and NRC app on the watch which take up minimal space

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

You sure can. $49 MSRP - https://www.apple.com/shop/watch/bands

There are knock-offs on ebay as well, I haven't looked at them in a while but when they were first coming out the quality was spotty in comparison. I don't know if they've improved or not.

12. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

Those are the ones from last year. The new bands from this year's Nike watch can only be purchased along with with watch.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

You sure about that? I'm able to delete Nike+ watch faces that I don't want. Although I can't technically delete the NRC app, there's a slider in the phone's watch management app that will hide the app on the watch, thus effectively achieving the same thing from a user-experience standpoint.