Nike watch questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ALW1026, Nov 20, 2016.

1. ALW1026 macrumors newbie

ALW1026

How is the battery life when running without the phone using GPS HR and Music
    I often run on a treadmill. Does it track movement in distance. Heard I needed a Nike iPod sensor for that
    Is it possible to put multiple playlist on the watch

2. Julien, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

None of your questions are Nike Watch specific and apply to any Series 2 :apple:Watch.

1. Battery life is subjective and relative to your particular usage. Running GPS and music will use more battery than not.
    2. The NRC app has an indoor mode (and Workout app has Indoor Run) but for best results calibrate by running outside first.
    3. You can have only 1 Playlist

3. Long Run Nick macrumors regular

My experience with the AW 2 and recently with the Nike edition is as follows: Over 300 miles or road running I have found that running with GPS and HR burns about 20% per hour. Just GPS burns about 16-17%. I do not run with music, and I don't run with my phone. I am pretty sure that if you run with your phone the battery drain on the AW will be less.
    Suggestion: Get off the treadmill, get outside and run:) Heat/ humidity- rain/sleet/snow- wind. I have run with temps over 100 and as cold as -30 below zero- non wind chill. Blizzards/ hurricanes, etc. Leave your music and phone behind.
    FYI, I tried a treadmill, I give props to folks who run on them. I love to compete and road races don't allow treadmills:) Nick

4. TxWatch, Nov 21, 2016

TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I started out running more than 20 years ago on a tread mill. After getting tired of slipping belts and broken boards on two expensive machines, I moved to outdoor running. The treadmill helped me to lose 45lbs in a years time and I never gained it back because I am still running today.

Now, I only use a treadmill when it is pouring rain or when I am traveling in an unfamiliar area and I do not want or get lost out on the road. (Which happened to me once in downtown San Francisco in the days before GPS and iPhones)

5. Long Run Nick macrumors regular

I am not knocking treadmill running, I am an advocate for getting the body in motion by whatever means.
    I love running in the rain, no need to shower when done:)
    Getting lost, has happened to me on too many occasions. That can now be rectified by the numerous watches that will show maps and how to get back to where you started. So, Txwatch out the door:)

6. TxWatch, Nov 21, 2016

TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

@Long Run Nick

I run at least 7 miles 3-4 times a week and 99% of the time, it is outdoors. ;) I run more when I am getting ready for a marathon, but I have none scheduled at this time. It is finally getting cooler here in SE Texas and this is my favorite time of year to run.

I go through two pair of shoes every year because I like to swap them out at 600 miles. I have not been running as long as you, but I am a bit younger so I have time to catch up to your mileage before I get into my 70s. :cool:

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

#1 - up to five hours. Google around a bit. I saw a report of someone who did a 3 1/2 hr marathon with music & HR from the watch, no phone, and said it still had a fair bit left.
    #2 Yes. No, you dont need the shoe sensor.
    #3 No, but you can allocate up to 2GB of storage for music, so make a long playlist and just choose where you start.

8. ALW1026 thread starter macrumors newbie

ALW1026

Im finding out there is a big difference between a treadmill and streets. But the treadmill is my best option for running on my lunch.
    I can't run without music. My feet refuse to move if its silent.

Thanks for the info. Im about to start training for a half marathon and need something with good battery life since Im still slow as molasses

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Respectfully, I urge you to work on weaning yourself from this dependency. Especially if you will be training for significant races/events. First, you risk all your training if you truly can't bear running without music and something happens to your music player or headphones during your target race. Second, some races prohibit headphones and of those some actually disqualify runners who break that rule. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other...ners-being-disqualified-races-wearing-7959146

Don't misunderstand, I frequently run with music or podcasts and enjoy it. I also frequently run without, just soaking in the outdoor environment. During races I prefer not to have them at all, both to enjoy the race environment but also to ensure nothing blocks my awareness of those around me.[/QUOTE]

10. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

+1 on Deeddawg

I have a BT headset I use for running "occasionally", but I find it is distracting and takes away from my time to just think about the upcoming day. When I am in a race, I want to hear everything that is going on around me, not only for my safety, but for the safety of others. Depending on where you race, it is easy to get into traffic jams with people on all sides trying to pass, etc. It is much easier when you can hear the others around you.

I also recommend you try to get used to running without music, and then, you can add it back to your routine as a treat to yourself. (If you still want to...).

11. Long Run Nick macrumors regular

If it is a road race 1/2 marathon, I suggest you do a fair amount of road running. It is called specific training. There is quite a difference from running on a treadmill to out on the roads. Leave the music behind, focus on how appreciative you are that you can run and enjoy the outdoors, even if it is raining/snowing.