Nike watch screen peeling off after 2 swims

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chrixtopher, Nov 4, 2016.

1. chrixtopher macrumors newbie

The seal is broke, water got in, and the top 'cover' is peeling back on the screen. Touch doesnt work on half the screen.

I did not do anything other than swim 2 times at the local Y since receiving the watch.

Watch your nike apple watches closely!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    upload_2016-11-4_7-58-8.png

look on right side of screen

2. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

3. metblack328i macrumors newbie

I have been through water tewice so far and no trouble so far. Must be a bad piece. Time to use ur Warranty.

4. chrixtopher thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes guys, i am going to 'warranty' it, i am going to walk into an apple store and get a new one. Spoke to apple last night and the lady said 'we dont cover physical damage but we will make an exception for you'

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I would make sure Apple documents this as a defect, not physical damage, if I were you.

6. Julien, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That is odd looking. The crystal is glass and glass doesn't 'peel'. Also if there is water ingress your (OLED) display would not work. Any excess moisture will destroy an OLED's instantly. OLED's have no tolerance for water. Is the display coming on?

Also when you say "Watch your nike apple watches closely!" all Nike Watches are just S2 with extra software added (and Strap) and not a differently designed or manufactured device. Your unfortunate experience is likely unique/isolated and not a wide spread problem that people need to be concerned about.

Also while hard to tell it does look more like a manufacture defect than damage.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My friend has had his for a week and the band is splitting or peeling. How would he get just a new band?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    Almost looks like it is cracked.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Maybe he should call Apple or open a support ticket on the website. She/he could also take it into an Apple Store if one is nearby.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I believe that he has made an appointment for this weekend.

10. chrixtopher thread starter macrumors newbie

I returned the watch to apple store. He was able to literally peel the entire screen off. He said it was cracked "all around the edges, and had never seen this" before. He said he has seen cracks but never all around the entire edge of the screen?

In any event, they gave me a new replacement watch on the spot. This time, i got apple care as I dont trust these. He said i must have hit it or dropped it and I dont recall doing that at all.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't have time to look for it right now, but I recall this happening to at least one person with the original Watch. It's a manufacturing defect that has nothing to do with being in the water.

12. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

After several post of water damage I'm just not swimming with mine. It may get wet running in the rain but I'm not hitting the pool with it.

13. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Wouldn't this always be covered by Apple under warranty and Apple care? I know you are just being cautious, but I better be able to put my watch through the same environments as their commercials.

14. ifarlow macrumors regular

ifarlow

15. Julien, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is NOT water damage. The OP made the thread before taking to the :apple:Store. It is probably something like a manufacture defect that put too much stress on the crystal and micro spider cracked the edges. It just probably took a little 'jostling around' to spread the cracks so it became obvious.

Also saying you will not swim with it because a few people had problems is like saying you won't drive on a tire because you heard some people get flats.

16. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

So why did Apple tell the OP damage isn't covered but they are doing him a favor and replacing it?

Love my watch but sure couldn't afford to replace it if Apple didn't do me a favor as they told the OP they did for him.

17. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Lmaoooo "exception"

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sounds like they told him/her that over the phone and without seeing the :apple:Watch. NEWS FLASH, All manufacture defects MUST be covered under warranty.

19. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Just in case you post photos to macrumours... oh wait