Nike+ Wireless Remote Control Compatability Added in 2.2!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pismodude2, Nov 20, 2008.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

Figures...I just purchaed a timex iControl watch. It works fine with my ipod touch, but I have to plug a dongle into the ipod. This would be much better.

3. Lray3152 macrumors newbie

4. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Well, the new iPod Touch has a Nike+ chip inside it, allowing it to wirelessly receive information (up till now) only from the Nike+ sensor (link goes to Apple Store).

Now, however, it can also receive remote commands from items like this watch (note the pause, play, skip, back, and volume buttons) wirelessly! Also, this should allow it to send the music currently playing through the connection to the watch and play it through the speaker in the watch, although I don't know much about that feature.

This is a sign of possible expansion and other uses in further updates of the Bluetooth chip in the 2nd gen touch (other than Nike+, which is what it is being used for now).

So put plain and simple: this will be the first iPod you can control wirelessly without a dongle.

5. Lray3152 macrumors newbie

Wow. Sounds Incredible and definitely beneficial. I have a 16gb iPod Touch 2g with the nike+ipod built in of course. so is the watch really out/coming out or I mean is that app really out?

6. Lray3152 macrumors newbie

also... does with the nike amp watch does that mean you have to have your iPod, the watch and the sensor on your shoe?

7. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

I think what Pismoduuuude2 means is the watch can control some of the iPod touch features / commands remotely. This due to the fact that the 2g touches have the Nike+ sensor inside of it.

The sensor on the shoe is a seperate feature for counting steps, mileage, pace, etc.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

bastards, i still can't get ove rteh fact they dint put that sensor on the iphone.. not surpirsed but annoyed...I WANT ITTTT....

9. jladams97 macrumors newbie

Update iPod software if having problems with remote

I'm using the 1st generation remote watch (the one with the metal clasp band) and initially had problems with it working with my 2nd generation iPod Touch and Nike+. The issue is that I couldn't start a workout from the remote and, more importantly, if I paused a workout from the remote, the remote stopped working with the iPod for the duration of the workout; that is to say, after pausing a workout from the remote, I couldn't use the remote until after ending that workout and starting a new one. But now that I have used iTunes to update from the 2.2 software to the 2.2.1 software on the iPod, it's working flawlessly: I can pause and restart workouts from the remote and after doing so, all the other watch functions still work. And I believe I can now start workouts from the watch, too. Your issues may be different than mine--but regardless of what they are, upgrading your iPod software is a sound plan so give that a try before tearing too much hair out. :)

10. budkid macrumors regular

thats sweet...i think i may invest in one. How in the heck do you read the time...

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

This seems great. Ya, how do you read the time? lol